Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Brownlee Brothers - brotherly love!

+3
Fabians Right Peg
boltonbonce
Sluffy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I guess by now most would have seen the elder of the Brownlee brothers help his brother over the line in the triathlon after the younger brother got heatstroke and cocked up his finish.

The Brownlee Brothers - brotherly love! _91295942_alistair_brownlee_jonny_brownlee_epa

All very commendable and I'm sure most (hopefully all) would do it for one of their own but it got me thinking what I would do in a similar position as to the bloke who went on to win the race.

Basically the younger brother had the race won and could easily have jogged the final few meters to the line but the heat took its toll on him and he clearly confused exactly where the finish line was and stopped and almost collapsed at the point where he thought it was - about 50 meters or so from the actual finish line.

The elder brother and the eventual winner where a distance behind and had settled for second and third places.  

When they got into the home straight it was clear that the younger brother was in trouble, just a few meters from his deserved win.

I'd like to think I would have stopped to help the younger Brownlee - in fact I'm sure I would - I'd have known in my heart I had been fairly beaten in the race - but the bloke (a South African) legged it to the line leaving his fellow competitor in some trouble and claimed the win.

What a hollow victory it is too - I'm sure people will now remember him as the one who ran passed the stricken Brownlee and left him for dead, rather than the glorious winner of the race - at least that is how I will remember him.

However in the heat of the contest I guess we don't always make the most thought out decisions and some folk believe in winning at all costs - indeed it was Brownlee's fault for overexerting himself and that wasn't the South African's problem - he run I guess a better race in that sense.

What would you have done - played to the whistle and won the race, or be like me the good Samaritan who see's the man first and the victory last?

There are no right and wrong answers to this - indeed some even tried to get the younger Brownlee disqualified for receiving help!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If my horse is trailing 30 lengths second in the Grand National,only to see the leader fall at the last,I'd be far from pleased if my jockey dismounted and helped his stricken colleague.
It's a race. People/horses/cars fall or break down.
Others take advantage. That's sport,in all it's tragic glory.

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If it was my brother I would probably kick him on the way past. Very Happy

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fabians Right Peg wrote:If it was my brother I would probably kick him on the way past. Very Happy
Very Happy

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a tough call but you can't really blame the South African for going for glory. In his mind he wanted to win and he had outlasted the younger Brownlee brother.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

They were both on 5Live this morning and whichever one it was who went all wobbly last week said that the roles were reversed a couple of years ago and he just ran past and ignored the other one.

And then took the piss later.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I guess by now most would have seen the elder of the Brownlee brothers help his brother over the line in the triathlon after the younger brother got heatstroke and cocked up his finish.

The Brownlee Brothers - brotherly love! _91295942_alistair_brownlee_jonny_brownlee_epa

All very commendable and I'm sure most (hopefully all) would do it for one of their own but it got me thinking what I would do in a similar position as to the bloke who went on to win the race.

Basically the younger brother had the race won and could easily have jogged the final few meters to the line but the heat took its toll on him and he clearly confused exactly where the finish line was and stopped and almost collapsed at the point where he thought it was - about 50 meters or so from the actual finish line.

The elder brother and the eventual winner where a distance behind and had settled for second and third places.  

When they got into the home straight it was clear that the younger brother was in trouble, just a few meters from his deserved win.

I'd like to think I would have stopped to help the younger Brownlee - in fact I'm sure I would - I'd have known in my heart I had been fairly beaten in the race - but the bloke (a South African) legged it to the line leaving his fellow competitor in some trouble and claimed the win.

What a hollow victory it is too - I'm sure people will now remember him as the one who ran passed the stricken Brownlee and left him for dead, rather than the glorious winner of the race - at least that is how I will remember him.

However in the heat of the contest I guess we don't always make the most thought out decisions and some folk believe in winning at all costs - indeed it was Brownlee's fault for overexerting himself and that wasn't the South African's problem - he run I guess a better race in that sense.

What would you have done - played to the whistle and won the race, or be like me the good Samaritan who see's the man first and the victory last?

There are no right and wrong answers to this - indeed some even tried to get the younger Brownlee disqualified for receiving help!

If it was my brother I would've stopped and helped.

If was was some South African I'd of just ran past and won.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:They were both on 5Live this morning and whichever one it was who went all wobbly last week said that the roles were reversed a couple of years ago and he just ran past and ignored the other one.

And then took the piss later.
It's what brothers are for.
Mine just phoned asking me to get him two tickets for the match,and print them out. Don't know what his last servant died of.
At least I've got a lift this week. ::bwfc::

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum