Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Classical music

+3
xmiles
boltonbonce
Norpig
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Classical music Empty Classical music Sun Oct 16 2016, 19:20

Anyone here a fan?

Me and the lad have just been to the royal northern college of music to watch the picadilly orchestra play a set of classical music taken from popular films, including star trek, superman, harry potter, et, and my favourite of the set, Back to the future.

It really was a great way to spend a couple of hours on a sunday.

2Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Sun Oct 16 2016, 19:25

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i'm no expert but i like a few pieces of classical music. A lot of the famous ones are used in films such as my favourite Adagio for strings by Barber, if i'd not seen Platoon i probably would never have heard it.

i also like a few Vaughan Williams pieces like Lark Ascending and Vivaldi's four seasons

3Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Sun Oct 16 2016, 20:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes indeed. Had a season ticket for The Halle when they used to play at The Free Trade Hall. 

Don't get to many concerts since they moved to the Bridgewater Hall,but my CD collection partly makes up for it.
Have a listen to the second movement of Samuel Barber's violin concerto. Only eight minutes. Beautiful.

4Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Sun Oct 16 2016, 20:40

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Like Norpig I'm no expert but I love The Lark Ascending and a lot of Vaughan Williams symphonies. I also enjoy the work of Arnold Bax, Debussy and Ravel. Some things like The Four Seasons and Holst's Planets Suite are very approachable.

If you are interested in finding out a bit more try listening to Classic FM.

5Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Sun Oct 16 2016, 20:48

I quite like modern "instrumentals" that can be classed as clasical.  Sigor ros and explosions in the sky.  I love katherine jenkins (mostly for her singing Wink ) but ttoday really opened my eyes to just how fantadtic fifty to sixty people all playing together can really sound.  It helped i recognised the songs with them being from films. Very Happy

6Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Sun Oct 16 2016, 20:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Like Norpig I'm no expert but I love The Lark Ascending and a lot of Vaughan Williams symphonies. I also enjoy the work of Arnold Bax, Debussy and Ravel. Some things like The Four Seasons and Holst's Planets Suite are very approachable.

Not often you hear Arnold Bax mentioned on here. Have to admit I like him too.
I think too often people are intimidated by classical music,and pass it off as elitist,but that's far from the case.
William Walton is another favourite. I was sat next to Sir William and Lady Walton at The Halle,when they performed his first symphony.
I only found out when the conductor,James Loughran,asked him to stand and take a bow at the end.

PS. He was an Oldham lad.

7Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Sun Oct 16 2016, 21:10

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

boltonbonce wrote:
xmiles wrote:Like Norpig I'm no expert but I love The Lark Ascending and a lot of Vaughan Williams symphonies. I also enjoy the work of Arnold Bax, Debussy and Ravel. Some things like The Four Seasons and Holst's Planets Suite are very approachable.

Not often you hear Arnold Bax mentioned on here. Have to admit I like him too.
I think too often people are intimidated by classical music,and pass it off as elitist,but that's far from the case.
William Walton is another favourite. I was sat next to Sir William and Lady Walton at The Halle,when they performed his first symphony.
I only found out when the conductor,James Loughran,asked him to stand and take a bow at the end.

PS. He was an Oldham lad.

Good to find another Bax fan. I shall try listening to some Walton.

You are absolutely right about people's perceptions about classical music. Just open your ears and listen. If you don't like it fine (I don't really get opera) but give it a try.

8Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Sun Oct 16 2016, 21:43

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It can be fun too. Very Happy

9Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Tue Oct 18 2016, 09:26

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I think my all-time favourite classic is Ravels bolero, although there are some that run a very close second.
My introduction to the piece was when I was serving in Cyprus in 1973, when I was in a night club in Famagusta, and the stripper used it as her dance music. Shows how good she was when I remember the music more than her act   Very Happy

10Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Tue Oct 18 2016, 14:52

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Einaudi and Phillip Glass is about all i can put up with.

11Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Tue Oct 18 2016, 15:42

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I quite enjoy Elgar, very jingoistic, Holtz Planet Suite, some parts good and some a bit boring. Mozart, Beethoven and Mahler for similar reasons. If I can whistle it it's generally good.
I also like a good brass band and although we have a very good RAF band you can't beat Black Dyke Mills.

12Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Tue Oct 18 2016, 15:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bollotom2014 wrote:I quite enjoy Elgar, very jingoistic, Holtz Planet Suite, some parts good and some a bit boring. Mozart, Beethoven and Mahler for similar reasons. If I can whistle it it's generally good.
I also like a good brass band and although we have a very good RAF band you can't beat Black Dyke Mills.
Speaking of the Black Dyke.........

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/feb/26/black-dyke-brass-neck

13Classical music Empty Re: Classical music Tue Oct 18 2016, 16:39

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I used to have an album of classical music that had been used in adverts and was a good listen, always enjoyed watching the closing stages of last night of the proms with all the patriotic stuff, Land Of Hope and Glory and Rule Brittania

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum