Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parkinson: Why Wanderers passed on Odemwingie deal

+6
terenceanne
wanderlust
Soul Kitchen
DEANO82
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson has explained why he did not pursue a move for former Stoke City and West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie.

After finding out that the 35-year-old front man had signed for Championship strugglers Rotherham United, the Wanderers boss admitted he’d had reservations about offering him a permanent deal.

Free agent Odemwingie impressed on trial at Lostock and, conceded Parkinson, was looking in good condition to resume his career.

But with Max Clayton and Keshi Anderson pushing for a recall, the decision was taken before Tuesday night’s 2-0 win at Bury not to pursue the move.

“We’d had a look at Peter over a couple of days but I don’t really want to block the progress of our own players,” he told The Bolton News.

“We’ve got Max Clayton who’s looking so hungry in training, really determined to play, we’ve got Keshi Anderson who’s desperate to get out there as well.

“Chris Taylor has only just come back into the frame, James Henry is knocking on the door – we bring another one in and someone falls by the wayside. I think all those players, and particularly Max, deserve a shot.

“He’s worked so hard to get back, so to find someone who is ultimately coming to the end of his career blocking his progress would be tough.

“I didn’t know Peter had gone to Rotherham until the end of the game – I was going to look at him again over the next day or so – but they are down the bottom of the Championship, so it seems they have got something agreed.

“We’re happy with what we have got at the moment and I don’t want to unsettle it.”

Parkinson was able to name Lewis Buxton on the bench at Gigg Lane and is also hoping Tom Thorpe and Darren Pratley will be back this side of Christmas.

The manager reckons he cannot be frivolous in the transfer market, given the club is under an ongoing embargo.

“Every player we sign is another place – and we have to work to get that place.

“It isn’t as if we can sign whoever we want and if he doesn’t work out, we’ll get another one.

“Our selection process is a lot harder than normal, so we move on.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson wrote:We’d had a look at Peter over a couple of days but I don’t really want to block the progress of our own players.

We’ve got Max Clayton who’s looking so hungry in training, really determined to play, we’ve got Keshi Anderson who’s desperate to get out there as well.

Embarrassing post Parkinson, Anderson isn't our player and (thankfully) never will be.

Whereas Odemwingie would have been had you signed him.

Just admit Rotherham offered him more money and a higher level of football. No one would have blamed you.

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Doesn't he contradict himself by saying he didn't want to sign him, then saying he was going to take another look at him.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We'll see what we missed out on with how he goes at Rotherham. I won't hold my breath.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Admirable that he's willing to give Clayton and Anderson a chance rather than sign another ageing forward but it does mean that they are going to have to come good sharpish especially as he's playing Taylor and Wilson or Buxton at FB neither of whom seem to get forward enough to make a front 6. Spearing and Osede get dizzy if they cross the halfway line so it's down to the FBs to provide the width, but they were pinned back a lot of the time against Bury so there's a lot of pressure on the front 4. Time will tell if Odemwingie could have made a difference.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Understandable decision..... but on the other hand relying on Clayton & Anderson is also dodgy.
Clayton is shaping up very much like Mavies with the constant injuries.
Ken & PP should keep one eye on the next window if they are seriously interested in a promotion bid. Strikers remain a problem IMO.

Soul Kitchen wrote:We'll see what we missed out on with how he goes at Rotherham. I won't hold my breath.

Thought you'd left and we're feeling better for it?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:We'll see what we missed out on with how he goes at Rotherham. I won't hold my breath.

Leave him alone, Jesus wept

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:

You're like a fucking tree hugging cockroach that should be stamped, go and copy and paste a load of bleeding heart shite and try and make yourself look intelligent

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Calm down old timer.Parkinson: Why Wanderers passed on Odemwingie deal Angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon-gif

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Calm down old timer.Parkinson: Why Wanderers passed on Odemwingie deal Angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon-gif
I needed to take my meds after that,

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bet you've started to wonder where the years went.
Gets easier as you get older. Now I just wonder where my slippers are,and why my season ticket is in the fridge.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If Odemwingie was willing to play for free, I don't think Parky would have given a shit about the likes of Clayton and Anderson.

Odemwingie has always been a bit of a dick. He probably just wanted more money than we were willing to give. Seems more likely than the reasoning given here, to me.

The whatsgoingon wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

You're like a fucking tree hugging cockroach that should be stamped, go and copy and paste a load of bleeding heart shite and try and make yourself look intelligent

I know I've got to you but SK can take a bit of needle. Nothing to do with you kid.

doffcocker wrote:If Odemwingie was willing to play for free, I don't think Parky would have given a shit about the likes of Clayton and Anderson.

Odemwingie has always been a bit of a dick. He probably just wanted more money than we were willing to give. Seems more likely than the reasoning given here, to me.

Agreed, and if he came and moaned about missing out on Odemwingie it would hardly instil confidence in the strikers he does have.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum