Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The numbers all add up for happy Wanderer Wilson

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lawrie Wilson will be a happy man if Wanderers keep chipping away at the record books.

On their best run of form for 40 years, the Whites flexed their muscles once again in League One with a commanding 3-1 win against Port Vale.

The visitors’ late goal meant they missed out on matching a 104-year benchmark of having won six games without conceding but the three points keeps Phil Parkinson’s men hot the heels of leaders Scunthorpe, so Wilson was not about to complain.

“You could see some of the lads were disappointed to have conceded a goal when they came back in, even though we won,” he told The Bolton News. “We don’t really know the stats until people start throwing them out at you. But the clean sheet one was disappointing. You have to get your head around it. I want to start another run and this time, hopefully, we’ll clear it.”

Wilson had more reason to smile than most, scoring Wanderers’ third of the day with a scintillating 25-yard drive.

It was the full-back’s second goal of his Bolton career, the previous one coming against Ipswich in January.

“Normally, I seem to score once a year and they’re not too bad,” he explained. “I have actually got two this year, I’m quite prolific, and hopefully I can get more.

“Getting forward is something I like doing and it helps with the team too because it doesn’t put as much pressure on the forwards.

“If you rely too heavily on one person, sometimes it can get too much. It’s good that everyone can chip in.”

The former Charlton Athletic man has had to wait patiently for his chance to shine at the Macron following his arrival in the summer of 2015.

Never favoured by the man who signed him, Neil Lennon, it took an injury to Lewis Buxton for him to really be able to press him claim under Parkinson in the last few weeks.

But the 29-year-old has let no-one down, drawing praise for his attitude on and off the pitch.

“Football is about taking your opportunities and it’s been great to have a run of games and know there’s some trust,” he said. “I think most players are like that, it’s very hard when you’re in, then you’re out. I have been fortunate to get that run of games and we’ve managed to keep this winning run going.

“The gaffer has mentioned before that you get partnerships with people in a settled team. Me and Sammy (Ameobi) have started to understand how we’re defending and how we attack together.”

Billed as “unplayable” by assistant boss Steve Parkin, Ameobi’s ever-improving form has been one of the highlights of Wanderers’ winning run.

“He’s something else,” Wilson said. “In training sometimes you think ‘I need to give him a couple of yards’ and then he still gets to the ball, his legs are everywhere.

“It’s not just about attacking with him, he gets back and helps to defend. He’s doing everything at the moment and it’s great to have them in front of me.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum