Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers are offering Ameobi some home comforts as he contemplates life after Newcastle

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sammy Ameobi’s nomadic existence may soon come to an end, with the striker admitting he has found a home away from home in Bolton.

Though still living out of the proverbial suitcase and holed up in the club’s Whites Hotel, the Newcastle United winger is settled, and seems well on his way to becoming a fan-favourite at the Macron.

Ameobi was given a standing ovation as he left the pitch in the 3-1 win over Port Vale after his tricks had wowed the crowd and put Wanderers on their way to a sixth straight win.

No firm decision has been made on whether his loan will be extended beyond January but his form during the club’s winning run put significant pressure on the Whites to sort something sooner, rather than later.

Though reared on Tyneside, born and raised in the city of Newcastle, Sammy does not boast the thick North East accent of his brother Shola.

“I’m not sure if it’s a good thing that I haven’t got the Geordie twang,” Ameobi said. “I’ve been with Newcastle since I was a kid but unfortunately, for one reason or another, it has never really happened for me there in the first team, so I have enjoyed a couple of loan spells over the years.

“The first one was with Middlesbrough, even though they have a rivalry with Newcastle they took to me really well and I got to play with some very talented players.

“Up to that point I’d only known Newcastle and going there helped me to grow up a bit. Being a local boy and growing up at St James’ Park everyone looked at me like I was a kid but at Boro I was a first team player and had to act professionally.

“It’s exactly the same at Bolton too. It’s a massive boost for my confidence to be involved with the first team on a weekly basis, it’s exactly what I needed.

“It has been really easy to settle here, even though I’m living in a hotel. I actually really like it and they do a great breakfast!

“I can’t complain because I have been really well looked after.

“Even home itself isn’t too far away when we do get a day off. It is not too much hardship to jump on the motorway and go to see my family.”

Part of a trio of footballing brothers – his younger sibling Tomi plays in Canada – family is clearly an important part of Ameobi’s make-up.

By his own admission his loan spell at Cardiff City last season left him feeling isolated.

“It was a completely different feeling and it was the furthest I’ve ever been from home, which was difficult,” he told the club. “I missed my mum’s cooking and whenever she’d visit she’d cook a massive meal and I’d freeze it so I had a taste of home whenever I had anything to eat.

“It was a challenge for me on and off the field but it made me grow up even more and I benefitted from the experience, despite it not being exactly what I wanted it to be.”

Ameobi won’t be short on options at the end of the season when his Newcastle contract expires but Wanderers are growing on him.

“It’s a great club,” he said. “We’ll have to see what happens.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum