Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

QUIZ - English pharases

+8
boltonbonce
Bread2.0
DEANO82
okocha
gloswhite
finlaymcdanger
Bwfc1958
Sluffy
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1QUIZ - English pharases Empty QUIZ - English pharases Sun Nov 27 2016, 14:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Do you know your 'bloody Nora' from as 'daft as a brush'?

If so how many out of ten can you get right?

I managed 5.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38007350

2QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Sun Nov 27 2016, 15:32

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

3 out of 10, and even they were guesses. Hopeless.

3QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Sun Nov 27 2016, 18:13

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

5/10

4QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Sun Nov 27 2016, 18:27

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

7 out of 10, but some choices were very ambiguous.

5QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Mon Nov 28 2016, 09:59

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Really interesting quiz. I scored 8, though I had to guess a couple.

6QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Mon Nov 28 2016, 11:34

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I got 6.

I don't know what an English pharases is though.

7QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Mon Nov 28 2016, 12:26

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Weren't they the blokes who had a pop at JC for smashing up that temple?

8QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Mon Nov 28 2016, 12:34

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'Fighting like billyo' has always puzzled me. Never really got to the bottom of it,although I've see a few attempts at explaining it.

9QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Mon Nov 28 2016, 14:04

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

5/10.

Chuffin' Norah!!

10QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Wed Nov 30 2016, 09:29

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

5 / 10 but most were just guesses.

11QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Wed Nov 30 2016, 11:07

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

6/10. Some logical, some guesses.

12QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Wed Nov 30 2016, 11:21

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I've never understood the expression "by and large".

How on earth did those words get juxtaposed to mean "on the whole"? A preposition and an adjective  together makes no sense!

13QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Wed Nov 30 2016, 17:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:I've never understood the expression "by and large".

How on earth did those words get juxtaposed to mean "on the whole"? A preposition and an adjective  together makes no sense!
I think it's a nautical term generally referring to the predominant wind direction.

14QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Wed Nov 30 2016, 19:12

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Thanks...but still doesn't make any sense.   "By" the what?       And "large" what? 

Suggestions please.     By the cringe and large fries?     By the left sail and large wind speeds?

No matter what nautical terms are being referred to, I fail to see how they can come together to mean "on the whole" as we would use the phrase.

15QUIZ - English pharases Empty Re: QUIZ - English pharases Wed Nov 30 2016, 19:34

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Thanks...but still doesn't make any sense.   "By" the what?       And "large" what? 

Suggestions please.     By the cringe and large fries?     By the left sail and large wind speeds?

No matter what nautical terms are being referred to, I fail to see how they can come together to mean "on the whole" as we would use the phrase.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/by-and-large.html

scratch

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum