Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Atheism

+10
Sluffy
Bollotom2014
wanderlust
Cajunboy
Fabians Right Peg
Soul Kitchen
Boggersbelief
Norpig
Bread2.0
Lard Lad
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Thu Dec 29 2016, 14:38

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I prefer coleslaw.

22Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Thu Dec 29 2016, 15:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In the beginning there was nothing  presumably. (If not, what created it?)
Then there was something.
Something created something out of nothing.
Whatever that creative force is/was = God.

The existence or otherwise of God has nothing to do with Atheism which is a human belief structure for those who don't believe in God. So if God is proven to exist, it won't end Atheism as people can and will still believe anything they are capable of believing.

23Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Thu Dec 29 2016, 19:28

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:In the beginning there was nothing  presumably. (If not, what created it?)
Then there was something.
Something created something out of nothing.
Whatever that creative force is/was = God.

The existence or otherwise of God has nothing to do with Atheism which is a human belief structure for those who don't believe in God. So if God is proven to exist, it won't end Atheism as people can and will still believe anything they are capable of believing.

Why must you start with nothing, the laws of physics state that you can not create energy or matter just change it from one form to another so you could argue there was always something and no need for creation.

the existence of nothing is difficult to prove since it can not be measured or quantified as it does not exist?

24Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Thu Dec 29 2016, 19:53

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Any event that has just one chance in 1050 is dismissed by mathematicians as never happening.
To Quote Don Lindsay, " If you think that the factorial of 52 is big, allow me to point out that thermodynamics involves taking the factorial of numbers like 1030 . And we aren't calculating gee-whiz things, far removed from real life. We're calculating the disorder in a quart of water. Compared to numbers like that, 1050 isn't even a spit in the ocean." 

25Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Thu Dec 29 2016, 20:13

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

26Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 08:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

my thoughts as well but obviously i'm not as eloquent a speaker as Stephen Fry

27Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 09:16

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Rubbish the man is an idiot if he thinks what created the universe and time is a man or being that you can reason with or talk to. Time began with the creation of the universe, everything which has a beginning has a cause. The universe requires a cause because it has a beginning. The creator of the universe is not limited by the time dimension it created so it has no beginning in time, simples.

28Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 09:39

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

try actually listening to it first before spouting rubbish AD. He doesn't believe in God, that's the whole point of his answer  Rolling Eyes

29Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 10:33

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

All human logic suggests Fry is right. 

For interesting counter-arguments, "When Bad Things Happen to Good People", by Harold Kushner, and "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S Lewis are well worth a read.

30Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 10:57

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Fry's beliefs are pretty much in line with my own.

I gave up on the Big Fella In The Sky when I was about 8 or 9 after a conversation with the vicar after a Church Parade one Sunday when I was in the Cubs.

I asked him why God had let Mrs Greenhalgh (who lived across the road from us) get hit by a bus and die in agonising pain and was told it was "all part of His divine plan for her".

And even though I was only a small child, I could see the obvious flaws in that cop-out of an argument and decided on the spot that I was done with religion.

And can one of the true believers on here answer me a quick question, please?

You're a Christian.

You go to church every week, you say your prayers and you hand over your tithe with good grace and don't make a fuss.

Your wife (who you love deeply) dies prematurely from some horrible (God-made) disease.

Time passes and you meet someone else and get married.

But then, a couple of years down the line,  God's having a bad day at the office and she too succumbs to a bad case of scrofula or something equally debilitating and pops her clogs.

What happens when you die and go to heaven?

You're stuck then for eternity with two wives, both of whom you love but who never met each other down here and might not get on.

How does that work?

31Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 11:08

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:Fry's beliefs are pretty much in line with my own.

At last! We've been waiting for this day for many years, it's very brave of you to finally acknowledge your love of the penis. KP will help you through this testing time.

32Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 11:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

God created the universe.

Something had to create it, nothing creates itself. Or perhaps there's another world in my fridge, or a universe in my wardrobe.

Idiots.

33Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 11:20

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Something had to create the universe so it must have been God?

Why must the something have been God?

If nothing creates itself as you say, then what or who created God?

34Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 11:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:If nothing creates itself as you say, then what or who created God?

If you have a better idea backed up by a book (like the bible) then let's hear it.

35Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 11:33

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Can I post that banana video again?

36Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 11:49

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:If nothing creates itself as you say, then what or who created God?

If you have a better idea backed up by a book (like the bible) then let's hear it.
 you should be in the new Trump administration Nat, you have similar views, You'll be telling me evolution is a myth and it's all down to creationism next

37Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 11:53

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As I've said before, prove me wrong.

Someone didn't just come up with those stories in the bible. People didn't build thousands of churches because of a fairy tale. There's no church of the tooth fairy or Santa.

38Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 12:00

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Religion was created by people to control the masses, the bible is one long tale of fiction. There well may have been a Jesus but he certainly wasn't sent by a higher power

39Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 12:09

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

"God" is patently either not all good, or not all-powerful, as, for example, Aberfan proves. 

The world is full of many different interpretations of a God, but none of them prevents innocent suffering.

Are we meant to believe that an eternal afterlife is any sort of compensation for even one moment of the suffering of a child on earth?

40Atheism - Page 2 Empty Re: Atheism Fri Dec 30 2016, 12:13

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As I've said before, I'll be laughing my socks off when I die and am allowed into heaven.

The rest of the Nuts crowd will be in Hell forced to read every post sluffy has ever made, over and over again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum