Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phil Parkinson wants focus on Swindon Town fixture, not the FA Cup

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson has challenged Wanderers to prove they can juggle commitments in league and FA Cup against Swindon Town today.

The Whites boss has made no secret of his concern that the Wiltshire men could catch his side cold after last weekend’s brave draw against Premier League Crystal Palace.

Already facing late checks on two key men – Josh Vela and James Henry – he knows a replay at Selhurst Park, and a potential televised fourth-round clash with Manchester City are also factors which distract from the job at hand.

But Parkinson has sent out a stern message to the whole club prior to kick-off at the Macron Stadium, urging focus against the Robins.

“Every person who works here, every player, every coach, every fan knows that the league is so important to us and I don’t want any excuses,” he told The Bolton News. “I would hate to think at the end of the season that we’d be looking back and saying a cup run distracted us. That is not acceptable in my book.”

Parkinson took Bradford City to the final of the League Cup and then helped them win promotion from League Two in the 2012/13 season. He believes there is a better chance of succeeding in South London on Tuesday night if his team are on message today against Swindon.

“You have to get your players to understand the cup is a separate entity,” he said. “You want to travel down there in good form because it will take some pressure off and that’s the aim against Swindon.

“The Palace game is a good test and we learned lessons in last weekend’s game that can help in the league, which is our bread and butter.”

Wanderers have announced another big fan-recruitment drive, discounting tickets for the final seven home games against Rochdale, Bristol Rovers, AFC Wimbledon, Northampton, Chesterfield, Bury and Peterborough.

Prices start at £95 for adults, £70 for over-65s and Under-23s and £30 for Under-18s. A family ticket for one adult and one Under-18 is £110 in North Stand Upper.

Super Seven tickets will be available up to February 14.

Meanwhile, Wanderers’ potential FA Cup meeting with Manchester City has been selected for live TV coverage by the BBC at 4pm on Sunday, January 29.

If the Whites fail to qualify, Manchester United v Wigan Athletic will be broadcast in that slot and the Palace v City game will switch to Saturday at 3pm.

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

After reading this, I would like to know from anyone who saw the game live whether the problem was lack of effort or that the players were doing their best but just weren't good enough.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bit of both. First half they clearly thought they would win 5-0 without any effort. Second half they simply weren't good enough. In midfield especially we were over run.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:Bit of both. First half they clearly thought they would win 5-0 without any effort. Second half they simply weren't good enough. In midfield especially we were over run.
So who would you get rid of and who would you keep?  What changes do you think we need to keep up the promotion drive?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

observer wrote:
So who would you get rid of and who would you keep?  What changes do you think we need to keep up the promotion drive?

Unfortunately I don't think we're in a position to change anyone. We desperately need a proper striker - if we had a Billy Sharp type we'd be top of the league. We miss too many simple chances, Clough especially.

A fit Pratley alongside Spearing in midfield will be fine at this level, but we also need a right sided midfielder as Henry is too slow and too shite.

What would you change?

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
observer wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think we're in a position to change anyone. We desperately need a proper striker - if we had a Billy Sharp type we'd be top of the league. We miss too many simple chances, Clough especially.

A fit Pratley alongside Spearing in midfield will be fine at this level, but we also need a right sided midfielder as Henry is too slow and too shite.

What would you change?
I can only judge by radio (and from video highlights)... which makes me unqualified to give a proficient answer.  It seems that we cannot ever finish... even when we besiege the goal.  The lack of finishing will cost us a top two position, but who is to say if KA has the money to either purchase or loan a player, or to finish out the season.  I would think we need to go up to find additional investment... so it might behoove KA to apend on a finisher.  I'm sure the machinations between Deano's group, debt, and what KA wants to spend will make it a difficult decision for him.  I'm hopeful we find someone who can score when we have those opportunities in front.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Like Obs I only got radio and vid highlights for this one but it didn't seem as though there were many opportunities for a fox in the box type player and I suspect it's because Parky has built his defensive record on holding the midfielders back to provide cover which will inevitably lead to a shortage of bodies going forward. I may be wrong but as often as not it seems we stall as we get close to the opposition penalty area and are forced to shoot from distance or we lose it trying to break through. If we look at the goals we have managed to score (not many) we have a high proportion of goals from distance and that's no recipe for success.
Notwithstanding the fact that a quality finisher is probably beyond our purse I'm not totally convinced it would be the answer whilst Parky plays a defensive system.

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

We have got quality finishers. Clough, ploughing a lonely furrow ont left is clearly out of position, needs a more central role. Clayton, who hopefully will prove his worth now he is close to the starting eleven.
Ok, Nadine wins headers and works hard, but has no sharpness in front of goal. Wheater wins headers and work hard too and his strike record is better than Gary's at the min.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum