Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fred Eyre Legend ? Really take a look at his record

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Every time i listen to Football on GMR the Jimmy Wagg show on a Saturday, they wax lyrical about the Legend Fred Eyre the font of all football knowledge. He is a guest speaker along with his son Steve. He is likeable and talks the talk. But when someone says Legend i think Nat Lofthouse, Bobby Moore, George Best, Pele.

So i'm thinking this guy must have been some player, Nope!  Well he must have been a top top Manager, Nope, Coach Nope.  In fact he was pretty crap looking at his record, yet each week he is billed as a legend just wondered at what point you consider someone to reach legendary status.

For the Wanderers Nat Yes of course, any others? not sure they actually hit the level required.

Franky Worthington one of my favourites of all time, but a legend after just a couple of years? Super John fantastic for this club but none of his exploits was at the highest level? found wanting in the premiership? so a legend?

The following career stats are somewhat shit for a legend

Playing career[edit]
 Eyre was Manchester City's first ever apprentice.[2] Failing to make the grade at Manchester City, he signed with Lincoln city in 1963 and then had a trial with Huddersfield before signing for Crewe at the start of the 1964–65 season, but he never made a first-team appearance for either.

Coaching career[edit]
Eyre worked on the coaching staff of both Bradford Park avenue and Southport, and had a brief spell as caretaker manager of Wigan in 1981, winning one game and drawing a second.

YearsTeam
Apps
(Gls)
1961–1963Manchester City
(0)
1963–1964Lincoln City
(0)
1964–1965Crewe Alexandra
(0)
Oswestry Town
Rossendale United
New Brighton
Ellesmere Port
Radcliffe Borough
Chadderton
1969–1970Bradford Park Avenue
(0)
Oswestry Town
Wigan Athletic

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Not sure what kind of legend they're describing Jimmy Wagg as. A footballing legend or legend for a specific club in some capacity? 

John McGinlay is undoubtedly a Bolton Wanderers legend. No question about it. I'm not sure he would be referred to as such by fans of any other club but it doesn't matter. An A+ legend.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think his legendary status is more about his literary efforts than anything else.

'Kicked Into Touch' ,and 'Taking The Mike' are very funny books,and well worth reading.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum