Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Random words which pop into your head.

+7
wanderlust
gloswhite
okocha
boltonbonce
Norpig
Chairmanda
Bread2.0
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Right, I've had a few - It's Friday night and I've had a stressful week so don't judge.

OK, here we go.....

Very often when I'm cleaning my teeth in the morning, 5 minutes after I've dragged my fat arse out of bed, a word pops into my head and I feel the bizarre need to keep saying it.

Not just in my head but out loud.

I've got to say it out loud - that's important.

Very often I wind up with toothpaste all down my front and allover my chin as I stand there saying something like "Funicular railway" or "peripatetic teacher".

They're not simple, obvious words like "dog" or "fridge", no, they're quite convoluted words like "discombobulate" or "incongruity" and "pharmacopoeia".

It generally wears off by the time I've got in the car and set off for another day of drudgery at the Corporate Treadmill but I'm wondering why it happens in the first place and if anybody else may possibly be afflicted by this weird phenomenon. 

I cautiously asked my sister about this over Tea the other night in the desperate hope that it wasn't just me and she actually punched the air and shouted "Yes! I do that!"

(Apparently it had been troubling her too.)

Mrs B just shook her head and returned to her Steak & Ale pie before delivering a withering "It's genetic then. Like colour blindness, club feet or innate stupidity."

Seriously though, anybody else?

(I am fully aware that this thread is one on those where you lot will read it and think "Ey up! That confirms it - he is mental!" but I would appreciate your thoughts nonetheless.)

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Doesn't happen to me Bread. I quite often wake up with an earworm of a song in my head which takes ages to go away, but never a Tourette's desire to say out loud an obscure word

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The words that pop into my head first thing in the morning are usually swear words as i have to drag my 5 year old out of bed and she doesn't like it one bit. Then it's a battle to get her to eat her breakfast then get dressed and it's usually a real battle. Mornings can be very stressful in our house

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I usually get the urge to shout certain words at the top of my voice,an urge I usually satisfy as I cross the motorway bridge on the way to work.
As the traffic roars along below,the strange man in the BWFC cap is shouting 'MARSUPIALS'.
I've only been doing this for about two years,and I think the noise of the traffic sets me off. I feel I have to fight back.
Sometimes I almost manage a sentence. Yesterday it was 'I'M A LEMON'.
Not quite the same as the Bread situation,but like him,the urge is not to be denied. Unless I do it,something bad will happen.
I also feel the need to take stairs two at a time. Got to do it. Some kind of OCD?

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Not words but songs, often ghastly ones I've recently heard which can play in my head for days.

I expect that's not uncommon, but can be irritating when I can't switch it off, especially when I'm trying to putt!

I had the complete soundtrack from La La Land in my head for a week after I'd watched it recently and today's tune is "The Prayer".

Did anyone ever see the episode of Scrubs where a patient heard every word as a song, as if she was taking part in the film version of Les Mis? It was really cleverly done.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I also, on occasion, get a word stuck in my head, and have to repeat it, or at least wonder where it came from, what it means, and how did somebody actually invent it. Usually stops after about an hour or so, and usually happens in the early morning.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:I also, on occasion, get a word stuck in my head, and have to repeat it, or at least wonder where it came from, what it means, and how did somebody actually invent it. Usually stops after about an hour or so, and usually happens in the early morning.

Thank god for that.

I was staring to think I was the only properly mental contributor on here.

Cheers Glos.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Nope.. We seem to be in an exclusive club of 2, and no doubt it shows, probably to a psychiatrist, or psychologist, just how different we are Very Happy

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have been known to repeat a word aloud when it's an interesting crossword solution. Last week the clue was "ENT doctor on orgy looting royal hospital" and anagram which Norpig will instantly recognise as otorhinolaryngology - a word which I somehow managed to remember and randomly say aloud in the pub. My mate responded with WTF???

Same crossword had "heeltap" which is apparently an amount of alcohol left at the bottom of a glass so no wonder I wasn't familiar with it. 

This morning's Times Jumbo Cryptic surprised me with 10 down being "brainstormed"  a word which I though had been obliterated from our language in the recent orgy of political correctness - so obviously I had to repeat it aloud. Welcome back old friend.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

If we continue at this rate, the only 'normal' person will be Nat  Very Happy

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

In the land of the blind, etc....

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

No, I'm like Nat (words I hoped never to type)

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sometimes if I have recently come across a word with a great sound or unusual meaning it pops back into mind later on. Occasionally in the pub we used to come up with favourite words one of mine was oodles, because I like the sound of it and you somehow just seem to know instinctively what it means

Last edited by NickFazer on Sat Mar 18 2017, 19:02; edited 1 time in total

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I'm feeling more and more normal by the minute.

Thanks guys.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:I'm feeling more and more normal by the minute.

Yes, because forum users are a good example of normal people.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

That's why I said "more and more normal".

It's a comparative term.

A bit like saying that one thing is "better" than another.

Especially if there's only two of them.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Arse!

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Feck!

Bread2.0