Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Attendances

+4
Bwfc1958
observer
Sluffy
Wanderers for 45
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Attendances Empty Attendances Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Wanderers for 45

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Just a little comparison Reading v Barnsley last night was 13-360 with 330 from Barnsley.
Cold Tuesday night ,two teams near bottom of Championship.
Take note KA before you slag our fans. This sort of attendance is to be expected on a cold night in November. If we were top of the leauge ,there would be cause for complaint.
But thought it was interesting to see a similar attendance on a Tuesday night for Reading. Don’t think Madjeski is calling out the Reading fans. Only winning increases attendances.

2Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wanderers for 45 wrote:Just a little comparison Reading v Barnsley last night was 13-360 with 330 from Barnsley.
Take note KA before you slag our fans. This sort of attendance is to be expected on a cold night in November. If we were top of the leauge ,there would be cause for complaint.
But thought it was interesting to see a similar attendance on a Tuesday night for Reading. Don’t think Madjeski is calling out the Reading fans. Only winning increases attendances.

Fair point, well made.

I don't think any would argue differently.

Anderson is simply trying to raise more cash by reaching out for a bigger attendance. I don't think anyone can really blame him for trying can they?

I certainly don't.

3Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:19 pm

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:
Wanderers for 45 wrote:Just a little comparison Reading v Barnsley last night was 13-360 with 330 from Barnsley.

Fair point, well made.

I don't think any would argue differently.

Anderson is simply trying to raise more cash by reaching out for a bigger attendance.  I don't think anyone can really blame him for trying can they?

I certainly don't.

For all we know (and we know little), KA may have bought more debt than he anticipated. As for now, until a buyer shows up, we are metaphorically, in bed together.  KA needs to find some loanees to keep us up, and keep his investment solvent.  If he finds a buyer, he stands to make money, and we, hopefully, find some money to take the club up a notch.  Today's goal is survival... and not for some bad spells in the final 10-15 minutes, would be and should be achievable by these players.  Mental fitness goes for Parky as well... when someone is knackered, get them off if possible.  We're not cut adrift and we can secure points... but we can't afford to give back 8 points from 4 games at this juncture.  We have the ability to survive the season, and I only hope KA has enough in the bank to help us out in January to achieve that goal.

4Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I think the attendances are decent for a club in our position. A winning team would obviously go some way towards remedying the problem of low attendances but that is not the only problem. 

I used to go to every single game and now I work Saturdays so it just isn't an option for me. Having said that, I'm also your average working bloke supporting a family, so when you look at the upcoming match against Barnsley for example, the ticket price for an adult starts at 28 quid.

30 odd quid for a ticket to watch, let's be honest, an average team at best, just can't be justified. I can't afford to waste money watching shite football sat in the freezing cold. There's just no incentive on any level and I'm pretty sure there are many others in the same boat.

5Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:17 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bwfc1958 wrote:I think the attendances are decent for a club in our position. A winning team would obviously go some way towards remedying the problem of low attendances but that is not the only problem. 

I used to go to every single game and now I work Saturdays so it just isn't an option for me. Having said that, I'm also your average working bloke supporting a family, so when you look at the upcoming match against Barnsley for example, the ticket price for an adult starts at 28 quid.

30 odd quid for a ticket to watch, let's be honest, an average team at best, just can't be justified. I can't afford to waste money watching shite football sat in the freezing cold. There's just no incentive on any level and I'm pretty sure there are many others in the same boat.

Good post 58, says it as it is.

As a comparison, I live on the outskirts of London and two or three times a year I take the family to see a top show at the West End.  Nearly always I'm able to buy discounted top seat tickets from official outlets on the day - twice out of the last three times we went an individual ticket cost me around £35 each.

So a normal run of the mill midweek home game or a top West End show in London for broadly the same price - and even then that's not taking things into consideration like being sat inside in the warmth, watching top class and widely acclaimed entertainment verses two teams desperate for points, at the foot of the table, too petrified to attack in case they concede a goal and end up losing.

Both the theatre and the match fall under the umbrella of entertainment, with one guaranteeing quality and the other probably not.

I'm not saying the theatres everyone's cup of tea - its not, and I'm not saying people going to the game won't have fun - they will, I'm just saying there's not much difference between the two price wise - which to me shows the absurdity of modern day football - with all the billions of pounds being pumped into it - yet the hard-core fans who attended the games through loyalty to the team, still having to pay a fairly large wodge of their money each match to do so.

It's crazy really - players earning a quarter of a million pounds each week and the fans still having to think twice as to if they can afford to take the family to any particular game?

The footballing authorities should agree a pricing cap and set a fixed rate for all clubs to charge fans per game - and subsidise that rate by top slicing the money they receive from Sky and pass it on to the clubs to enable them to do so.

Yes its not as simple as I make out but its not impossible to achieve with some thought behind it either.

Maybe people still won't turn out at the capped rate even then but at least they could afford to do so if they wanted - unlike many who have to think twice like now.

6Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 pm

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Sluffy wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:I think the attendances are decent for a club in our position. A winning team would obviously go some way towards remedying the problem of low attendances but that is not the only problem. 

It's crazy really - players earning a quarter of a million pounds each week and the fans still having to think twice as to if they can afford to take the family to any particular game?

The footballing authorities should agree a pricing cap and set a fixed rate for all clubs to charge fans per game - and subsidise that rate by top slicing the money they receive from Sky and pass it on to the clubs to enable them to do so.

Yes its not as simple as I make out but its not impossible to achieve with some thought behind it either.

Maybe people still won't turn out at the capped rate even then but at least they could afford to do so if they wanted - unlike many who have to think twice like now.
I couldn't agree more and although they are completely different forms of entertainment, the theatre comparison stands up in my opinion. 

There should be a cap on pricing but I think we are too far gone towards the whole thing being a massive business enterprise. Nobody gives a shit about the fans anymore and never will again. Football as we knew it pre - sky tv is dead and will never return, and people like me will never get to see the club we love on a regular basis ever again.

7Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Its unbelievable (but you are right) that the cheapest adult seat in the ground for bottom of Div 2 v Barnsley is £28 with additional £1 fee if booked online
Even Man City with their exciting team dropped adult prices to £20 in the lower tiers for their match against Southampton last night.
At these prices the Macron is the last place any neutrals are going to choose to attend a match

8Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nobody blames Anderson for asking. The problem is if he has assumed higher than realistic gate incomes in his business plan which will be made even worse if he continues to suggest that the budget for transfers is based on extra fans turning up. He needs to steer well away from blaming the fans if there's no money for transfers in January.

9Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Wanderers for 45

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

In Ligue 1 France last season to watch Nice was €15 I’ve heard The Bundesliga matches can cost under €10. Football is way too dear in this country for the average man.
£28 to watch Wanderers is expensive.But I have a season ticket spread out monthly costs a £10 a week. I don’t drink or smoke. So I guess it’s all relative.
I wouldn’t want to watch an East End show for free,I know I’m an heathen but a pack of Cigarettes is a £10 So again it’s all relative to your individual position.
How much is it to go out on the piss these days £5 a pint. Everyone is free to choose what they do with their money.But 22 years ago it was a £10 in the Burnden Paddock.
Not sure what that equates too today but the facilities are better if not the Football.

10Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Growler wrote:

Its unbelievable (but you are right) that the cheapest adult seat in the ground for bottom of Div 2 v Barnsley is £28 with additional £1 fee if booked online
Even Man City with their exciting team dropped adult prices to £20 in the lower tiers for their match against Southampton last night.
At these prices the Macron is the last place any neutrals are going to choose to attend a match

Preston wanted £24 for an adult ticket for our Friday night game even though it was televised on Sky. Bloody greedy if you ask me.

11Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:19 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It makes me wonder how clubs who charge low admission fees make ends meet. Do their staff work as volunteers? Do they pay lower wages to their squad? Do they have other income streams that makes up the shortfall? Do they have no debts to service? 
Clubs like City can afford to make the occasional gesture to their fans, but lesser clubs must surely struggle.

12Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I think City reduce prices in the few days before the match if they aren't going to sell out, Southampton wasn't the first time this season they have done it.
Ken will probably have a crowd of 13,000  on tomorrow and 14,000 empty seats.Im sure a few thousand of the empty seats would be taken at a more realistic price than £28 in the cheap seats.

13Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Growler wrote:I think City reduce prices in the few days before the match if they aren't going to sell out, Southampton wasn't the first time this season they have done it.
Ken will probably have a crowd of 13,000  on tomorrow and 14,000 empty seats.Im sure a few thousand of the empty seats would be taken at a more realistic price than £28 in the cheap seats.
I was a big fan of the "kids for a quid" scheme that some clubs have operated from time to time because followed to it's logical conclusion - if done correctly - it would boost crowds and the atmosphere, increase sales of club memorabilia and catering and build the next generation of fans. 
The downside is loss of income from kids currently paying a higher rate and possible additional charges for policing,  so it would have to be done right and marketed directly to schools and clubs, but in theory at least even if they only nett as much as they currently do, it's a big win for the club and helps to future proof the income base.
I suspect that the club doesn't get the full benefit of catering sales under the current contract and that might be a barrier but with all the other potential benefits surely they can work out a way of doing it?

14Attendances Empty Re: Attendances Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 pm

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

All the clubs round here (minus the Manc and Liverpool clubs) are in the same boat, although I do think we have the biggest fanbase outside of those four. Even Blackburn have been getting considerably smaller crowds than us for many years, and Burnley only averaged 13,000 when they got promoted one year. Then there's the likes of Bury, Oldham, Rochdale etc.

You look at the likes of Norwich who seem to fill their stadium most of the time, whether they're playing well or absolutely dire, but that's a completely different kettle of fish. When we've had hard times, people have had other teams to go and watch only a bus ride away. Then that person's kids start supporting that team, and then their kids' kids. But if you live anywhere in the whole of Norfolk, there's only really one team you're likely to go and watch. Obviously I'm just using Norwich as one example, there are plenty more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum