Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Single Malt

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Single Malt Empty Single Malt Mon Dec 04 2017, 20:46

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

What's your favourite in the 10yrs old , £20-£30 bracket?

I'm no expert so always fall back on the two I know best, Aberlour and Highland Park.

Any ideas?

2Single Malt Empty Re: Single Malt Mon Dec 04 2017, 20:55

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

3Single Malt Empty Re: Single Malt Tue Dec 05 2017, 00:44

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Talisker.

4Single Malt Empty Re: Single Malt Tue Dec 05 2017, 01:56

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Aberlour, HP sauce and the Old Lag are pretty similar in the taste spectrum being peaty without tasting of TCP a la Talisker IMO.

5Single Malt Empty Re: Single Malt Tue Dec 05 2017, 10:27

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

10 year old Bruichladdich- a beautiful Islay malt.
It's known as 10 year old Laddie.

But don't ever Google that or you might end up in a lot of trouble!!

6Single Malt Empty Re: Single Malt Tue Dec 05 2017, 14:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone else take their whisky with room temperature water? 

I much prefer it to straight or with ice as it releases the oils and brings out all the subtleties of flavour, especially with cask strength whiskies. 

There are some cracking cask strength brews at the Whisky Shop where they give free tasters for many. There's one in Norwich and I always stop in when I'm being forced to do shopping - always brightens up the experience. 

Don't think there's a branch in Bolton but there's one in Exchange St, Manchester so recommend checking it out if you get the chance. www.whiskyshop.com

7Single Malt Empty Re: Single Malt Tue Dec 05 2017, 15:05

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

...always with  a little bit of ice!!

8Single Malt Empty Re: Single Malt Tue Dec 05 2017, 15:13

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:...always with  a little bit of ice!!
Sacrilege!

Adding water
By adding a few drops of water to a whisky, you can open up different, new and subtle flavours that you previously had not experienced. This is especially true when drinking cask strength whiskies that have higher alcohol levels (these can be up to and over 60% ABV in some cases). With cask strength whisky the alcohol and resulting burning in your mouth can overpower even the most prominent flavours. By adding some water, this dilutes the alcohol and reduces its effect, giving both the prominent and more subtle flavours a chance to shine. 
Adding ice
Ice is slightly different. Rather than enhancing flavours, it inhibits them as the ice makes the temperature of the whisky drop rapidly. It is the same as when you drink a good white wine that has been chilled down too much. It will be a more refreshing drink and calm the burn of alcohol, but can make the whisky taste dull and flat. The aromas and taste will only start to open up and reveal their full characteristics once the whisky starts to warm up to room temperature.

9Single Malt Empty Re: Single Malt Tue Dec 05 2017, 15:14

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Mea maxima culpa, then!

10Single Malt Empty Re: Single Malt Tue Dec 05 2017, 15:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:Mea maxima culpa, then!
Can't argue with what you like Rammy. I used to take it with ice until I spent a week on Isla with a mate from the Scottish Whisky Society and two cases of single malts. Whisky has been a cordial in my mind ever since.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum