You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » What should you do if your favourite actor is a pervert?

What should you do if your favourite actor is a pervert?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
If you'd asked me a few months ago who my favourite actor was, I'm not ashamed to admit that I'd have said Kevin Spacey.

American Beauty is my favourite film, House of Cards is one of my favourite series - well he's been in loads of top top films.

But recently I've sort of wondered if it's still OK to watch stuff that's got Kevin Spacey in it.

The thing is, it's pretty obvious that soon enough, most people will be asking themselves the same sort of questions.

I mean Hollywood is quite obviously full of dirty bastards, of which Spacey is just one.

Is it only a matter of time before an actor you really like is exposed as a sex offender, and supposing it did happen, do you send everything they've ever been in to the charity shop?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
I posed a similar question some years back when the Lostprophets lead singer was sent down for being a sicko paedophile.

I had no idea who Watkins or his group were - and no sentence is long enough for raping children - but I thought it a bit hard for the rest of the band that through no fault of theirs, the groups records would no longer be played - and therefore there would be no future royalties for their years of work they had put into the group.

I liked Spacey as an actor - obviously I knew nothing about him as a person - but I would imagine now that most of his films will no longer be reshown and similarly those other actors and actresses in the same films/TV shows who would have gained from repeat fees, would again lose out through no fault of their own.

I'm of an age were Gary Glitter (Paul Gadd) was a star but unlike the singers and bands that were around at the same time, I have never hear or see any records or clips of him and his band performing since he was convicted of paedophilia, although you do hear/see everyone else from that era from time to time.

I don't think anyone really (myself included) would want to watch a film or band, knowing the star in real life is a sex predator/child rapist and I can easily see why TV or radio don't show/play their stuff - but I do feel sorry for their band members/ fellow actors who have their careers blighted by their innocent professional association with them.

Just their tough luck I guess.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
I Have Glen Garry Glen Ross and i aint throwing that away for any reason Jack Lemmon is brill in it, i liked spacey in Baby Driver he's very good that's staying as well. I do what i want and wont be told or influenced by others in any way.

okocha

okocha
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Spacey: brilliant actor but how on earth did he become artistic director of The Old Vic? Surely people in positions of authority in the theatre world knew his reputation. He is being replaced wherever possible so that the public cannot see his work

I wonder what would happen if we discovered that Picasso, for example, was an abuser:- would all his masterpieces be taken down from public view in the art galleries of the world?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@okocha wrote:Spacey: brilliant actor but how on earth did he become artistic director of The Old Vic? Surely people in positions of authority in the theatre world knew his reputation. He is being replaced wherever possible so that the public cannot see his work

I wonder what would happen if we discovered that Picasso, for example, was an abuser:- would all his masterpieces be taken down from public view in the art galleries of the world?
Can you separate the art from the artist?

If Adolf Hitler was found to be the painter of a work regarded by all experts as a 

masterpiece,would it suddenly become dross?

Wagner was a shit human being,but the music is glorious.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Michael Jackson  is still adored and lauded by millions, despite the child related stories linked to him.

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
I think you can to an extent separate the artist and the work they have produced. Admittedly there is a difference in degree between some offences and there is also the question of what to do after someone has been punished for an offence. Do you forgive them even if you don't forget what they did?

Basically it seems to come down to personal judgement. I don't think all films with for example Kevin Spacey in them should be banned and I will carry on watching them regardless of what he has done because he is only part of the film not its entirety. To take another example Caravaggio may well have been a murderer so should we burn all his paintings?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
If Walter Sickert really was Jack the Ripper,where does that leave his art?

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@boltonbonce wrote:If Walter Sickert really was Jack the Ripper,where does that leave his art?

No way was Sickert Jack the Ripper. That is complete bullshit perpetrated by an author called Patricia Cornwell. There is simply no evidence to back up her crazy theory. She even destroyed one of his paintings in a futile attempt to support her crazy ideas.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@xmiles wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:If Walter Sickert really was Jack the Ripper,where does that leave his art?

No way was Sickert Jack the Ripper. That is complete bullshit perpetrated by an author called Patricia Cornwell. There is simply no evidence to back up her crazy theory. She even destroyed one of his paintings in a futile attempt to support her crazy ideas.
That wasn't my point.
I'm quite sure Sickert wasn't the Ripper. But if he was,would his art be rendered worthless?

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@boltonbonce wrote:
@xmiles wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:If Walter Sickert really was Jack the Ripper,where does that leave his art?

No way was Sickert Jack the Ripper. That is complete bullshit perpetrated by an author called Patricia Cornwell. There is simply no evidence to back up her crazy theory. She even destroyed one of his paintings in a futile attempt to support her crazy ideas.
That wasn't my point.
I'm quite sure Sickert wasn't the Ripper. But if he was,would his art be rendered worthless?

No I take your point. I think we are basically making the same point.

There seems to be too much virtue signalling going on these days.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
The Ripper is a golden egg for conspiracy theorists. Much like the Kennedy assassination,it'll generate crackpot ideas for years to come.
I know for a fact that Elvis killed Kennedy.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@boltonbonce wrote:The Ripper is a golden egg for conspiracy theorists. Much like the Kennedy assassination,it'll generate crackpot ideas for years to come.
I know for a fact that Elvis killed Kennedy.
Elvis was an Alien ,it's all bollox that hamburger thing he was beamed up off the toilet for a refurb and delivered back as Justin Bieber.

xmiles

xmiles
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@boltonbonce wrote:The Ripper is a golden egg for conspiracy theorists. Much like the Kennedy assassination,it'll generate crackpot ideas for years to come.
I know for a fact that Elvis killed Kennedy.

Sadly I have read quite a lot of stuff about the Ripper and the only two things I am reasonably sure about are that nobody famous was the Ripper and he probably died or was incarcerated after the Mary Kelly murder. Not that that will stop the conspiracy theorists of course.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Taking into account all the cattle and horses mutilated which have no explanation and so bizarre i'm surprised no has suggested Jack was an Alien.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Angry Dad wrote:
@boltonbonce wrote:The Ripper is a golden egg for conspiracy theorists. Much like the Kennedy assassination,it'll generate crackpot ideas for years to come.
I know for a fact that Elvis killed Kennedy.
Elvis was an Alien ,it's all bollox that hamburger thing he was beamed up off the toilet for a refurb and delivered back as Justin Bieber.
He's still with us. But he's getting on a bit.
What should you do if your favourite actor is a pervert? D97afb49ae48efe943a3e9c5fb0c334a

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Did you like Max Byegraves Bonce, saw him as a school teacher in a 60's film on KMTV yesterday he was young and he kept doing that thing with his hands like he was about to say i wanna tell you a story, ugh.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Angry Dad wrote:Did you like Max Byegraves Bonce, saw him as a school teacher in a 60's film on KMTV yesterday he was young and he kept doing that thing with his hands like he was about to say i wanna tell you a story, ugh.
Couldn't stand the bloke. Treated his wife like shit too.

His act constituted a crime against humanity.

My Dad used to play his records if he'd run out of laxatives.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
@boltonbonce wrote:
@Angry Dad wrote:Did you like Max Byegraves Bonce, saw him as a school teacher in a 60's film on KMTV yesterday he was young and he kept doing that thing with his hands like he was about to say i wanna tell you a story, ugh.
Couldn't stand the bloke. Treated his wife like shit too.

His act constituted a crime against humanity.

My Dad used to play his records if he'd run out of laxatives.

lol!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum