Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sunday League subs to the Olympic Stadium: Jeff King's rapid rise at Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jeff King still has to pinch himself when he reflects on the rapid journey which led him from the rutted turf of Huyton’s King George Playing Fields to the lush baize of West Ham’s London Stadium in little more than a year.

In late 2016, the midfielder was turning out for Mayfair FC in the Liverpool Business Homes League against the likes of Home Bargains and The King Harry.

But after being spotted by ex-Wanderers star Tony Kelly from the touchline one Sunday morning, it wasn’t long before King’s footballing fortunes had been transformed and Bolton’s own Cinderella story had begun.

King made his debut in front of 35,000 fans at the Olympic Stadium back in September and was instantly rewarded with a league debut against Bristol City a week later.

He has since faced top flight Huddersfield Town in the FA Cup and pushed himself to the fringes of Phil Parkinson’s first team plans.

“Somebody pointed out to me recently that I’ve actually played more games against Premiership teams than Championship teams, which is a crazy thing to think about really,” he said.

“I watch Match of the Day every single week and see the Premier League players on the TV. Suddenly, I was standing on the pitch next to them and challenging them for headers. It’s mad, it really is.

“It has definitely been a whirlwind year but I’d worked so hard I just hoped something good would come to me eventually.”

King had done the rounds in non-league football, turning out for the likes of Altrincham, Prescot Cables, Witton Albion and Droylsden before his big chance came along.

He continues to hone his craft, splitting time between Parkinson’s senior set-up and David Lee’s Under-23s, but at no point does the youngster intend to take his opportunity for granted.

“I’ve always just played football, whether it’s non-league or Sunday League, and those experiences taught me a lot,” he said.

“Just getting kicked by people twice the size of me and getting elbows in my head, it all helped me to prepare for men’s football.

“Now I’m in the professional game I’m more prepared to win those battles. I’m a bit of a late bloomer in many respects but I always say to the Under-23s that you don’t know what you have got until it’s gone.

“You can go from working a full-time job from eight in the morning to five in the evening, to coming in for training for a few hours at 10am.

“You have got to appreciate these things and there are so many people out there who would give anything to be in our position and have this job.”

As with any good story, there have been moments of hardship. King impressed to such a degree when he first arrived at the club that Parkinson pushed for him to be registered as a first team player with the EFL to help out in an injury crisis last season.

Much to Wanderers’ chagrin, their request was voted down by the league board, and King – among others – was left in limbo, unable even to be loaned out for experience.

“It was difficult but at the same time I just kept plugging away because it was the biggest boost in the world knowing that a club like Bolton wanted me on their books,” he recalled to iFollow BWFC.

“Had the club not had the restrictions in place that they did, it could have been so different and I would have perhaps been rushed in and might not have been quite ready for the step-up, whereas now I feel I am.”

King is not short of inspiration from those who have taken the path less trodden to professional football at the highest level.

Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy is often cited as the best example – but the likes of Troy Deeney, Charlie Austin, Ashley Williams, Chris Smalling, Yannick Bolasie and Michail Antonio have all emerged from the non-league to ply their trade in the Premier League.

Wanderers have also helped their fair share of players make the step up, most recently Kaiyne Woolery but King’s rise also conjured images of Jason McAteer’s transition from Marine, or Tony Caldwell’s incredible propulsion from Horwich RMI to five-goal superstar.

“It’s solid proof that you can make it even if you are a late bloomer and from non-league. Both myself and Connor (Hall) are in the same boat at Bolton,” King said.

“A lot of the lads say we play in a similar way – we’ve got that hunger and desire to win which is bred into you from a young age.

“I always say that if you have got the right attitude, you’ve got a great chance of achieving what you have set out to do.

“You can see some players in the game who are brilliant footballers but because of their approach and attitude, they haven’t achieved what they should have.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum