Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ben Alnwick backs Gary Madine to keep firing

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ben Alnwick is backing Gary Madine to deliver even more goals for Wanderers if they can keep hold of him in the January window.

Whites keeper Alnwick hopes contract negotiations with the 10-goal top scorer reach a quick conclusion, stubbing out any lasting concern he could be sold before Wednesday’s deadline.

Cardiff City have already had two seven-figure bids turned down for the 27-year-old front man, who recently became the first Bolton striker to hit double figures in successive campaigns for a decade.

“He’s the best target man I have ever played with,” Alnwick told The Bolton News.

“I don’t think people realise the work he gets through but his hold-up play and the way he links things up is outstanding.

“I hope he gets fixed up because I think he’s more than capable of kicking on again in the second half of the season.”

Madine has won more aerial challenges than any other player in the Championship this season but Alnwick insists there is more to his team-mate’s game.

“I was at Carlisle earlier in my career and Gaz was just starting out as a kid and he had the technique to be a good striker – but when I came to Bolton and saw him as an experienced player I couldn’t believe how much his finishing had come on,” he said.

“I think defenders know when they come up against him they are going to get a tough time and finish up with some bruises.

“He can strike fear into players because he’s not scared of putting himself about.”

Madine’s most prolific season was seven years ago when he finished with 18 goals for Carlisle and Sheffield Wednesday. And Alnwick sees no reason why he cannot match those kind of figures once again.

“I think he’ll score more goals provided we give him the right sort of service,” he said.

“He has been working hard for the team and I think he’s starting to get the reward for that now. I can see him kicking on.”

Wanderers resume league action on Friday night against Bristol City, looking to put some daylight between themselves and the bottom three.

Alnwick is confident the Whites can stay clear of trouble despite a tough-looking February which sees them face three of the current top six.

“The results over Christmas have given us a platform now,” he said. “We can see the home strait.

“Bristol City will be a tough game because they have been going well but there isn’t a side in the Championship we need to fear.

“There is a good feel about the place at the moment. I think everyone is giving their all. The way Dorian (Dervite) came in the other day, he was absolutely outstanding. It’s a measure of his character.

“It can be easy when you are not getting games to start sulking but you’ve seen Adam Le Fondre, Fil Morais, Reece Burke, Josh Cullen and Dorian slot in right away because the attitude has been spot on.

“The mood around the place does remind me of last season when we got promoted.”

Meanwhile, Wanderers’ Under-23s face Huddersfield Town at Leyland tonight looking to cement their spot at the top of the league. The game kicks-off at 7pm.

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Alnwick should shut the fuck up. No one cares what he thinks.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum