Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Paul Robinson wants coaching chance after playing days end

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Former Wanderers defender Paul Robinson hopes to remain at Birmingham City in a coaching capacity after calling time on his 22-year playing career.

The tough-tackling Londoner spent three years with Bolton, re-uniting with his former West Brom boss Gary Megson in July 2009 and making 87 appearances.

He also featured under Owen Coyle, playing in the doomed FA Cup semi-final defeat against Stoke City, and the final season in the Premier League.

At the age of 39 Robinson made his final appearance as a substitute in the Blues’ 3-1 victory against Fulham on the final day of the season, and having fulfilled a player-coach role for the last three season he hopes to make a permanent transition to the dugout under Garry Monk.

“I’ve no intention of leaving,” he said. “The perfect fit for me would be to stay. I’m keen to be part of the backroom staff pushing this club back in the right direction.

“We’ve had a lot of change at this club. A lot of managers and a lot of new players. Except under Gary Rowett, we’ve had no consistency. But we’ve got it again with Garry Monk in charge.

“I love working with him as the gaffer. He puts a smile on your face when you walk through the door.

“He wants me to stay and work with the youngsters here and make sure they have the right mentality for first-team football.

“He’s giving the kids a chance. Look at how well Wes Harding’s done in the nine games since he came in.”

Robinson gained two promotions from the second tier with West Brom and also helped the Baggies secure the famous Great Escape under Bryan Robson in 2005. He had a similar effect for Birmingham, helping them survive on the last day at Bolton three years ago.

“It’s been an unbelievable career. And I’ve worked hard for it,” he told BBC West Midlands.

“I’ve missed a lot of family holidays and that type of thing. But I’m so grateful to the club for showing faith in me.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum