Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers new boy Erhun Oztumer targets goal return

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

New Wanderers signing Erhun Oztumer hopes he can create the same excitement at the Macron Stadium as he did at his former club Walsall.

No midfielder in all four leagues can match the 30 goals supplied by the 27-year-old in the last two seasons at the Banks’s Stadium.

Twice voted into the PFA League One team of the year, and dubbed ‘The Wizard of Oz’ by fans in the Midlands, he earned a reputation for spectacular strikes.

Fresh from signing a two-year contract with the club, Oztumer told The Bolton News he was looking to replicate the same form for Wanderers.

“I scored some good goals at Walsall and I’d love to do that again at Bolton,” he said.

“I’m so excited to be here. The manager has talked to me about what he wants – it’s someone who can play one-touch, two-touch football, keep hold of possession, not waste the ball.

“And on top of that I’d like to weigh in with my fair share of goals too.

“This is a big chance for me.”

Oztumer clawed his way up the Football League ladder from Dulwich Hamlet, where he scored more than 60 goals, to earn a move to Peterborough United in 2014.

He is now eagerly anticipating his first taste of Championship football at a club he feels is heading in the right direction after a few difficult years.

“I see where Bolton are right now and where they have been,” he said. “I used to watch players like Jay Jay Okocha and Youri Djorkaeff at Bolton from afar and they were a great team.

“It was a massive club – and it still is – and even though they dropped down to League One for a little while you could tell they wouldn’t be down there long.

“Now they are back in the Championship I hope I can help them keep moving up.”

Oztumer was released at Charlton as a boy after being told he was too short, and at 5ft 3ins, he is the smallest player currently active in the Football League.

Phil Parkinson is hoping his new signing can add a different dimension to Wanderers’ attack next season, and Oztumer is relishing the chance to prove him right.

“I’m really excited,” he said. “It has been quite emotional because I started in non-league and people were telling me I’d never make it professionally, now I’m playing at Bolton Wanderers in the Championship. It’s incredible.

“I look around at the training ground, the stadium and I have never seen anything like it. I have gone the long way round but the size of the club – it has all been worth it. I can’t wait to get started.”

Source

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I am surprised he is impressed with the training ground, we sold the better one to Wigan.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum