Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Macron Stadium to be renamed University of Bolton Stadium

+9
Cajunboy
wanderlust
Growler
Dunkels King
Nigelbwfc
Boggersbelief
Leeds_Trotter
rammywhite
Sluffy
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

A little bird just told me that the University is paying nothing themselves. I've been told that its Bolton Council who are paying. Don't know if its true or not so don't shoot the messenger

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

rammywhite wrote:A little bird just told me that the University is paying nothing themselves. I've been told that its Bolton Council who are paying. Don't know if its true or not so don't shoot the messenger
It's good that wealthier Bolton institutions are helping the club out whoever it is.I remember Ken begging the council to reduce the clubs rates not long after he became owner, i don't know if the council obliged.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Growler wrote:
rammywhite wrote:A little bird just told me that the University is paying nothing themselves. I've been told that its Bolton Council who are paying. Don't know if its true or not so don't shoot the messenger
It's good that wealthier Bolton institutions are helping the club out whoever it is.I remember Ken begging the council to reduce the clubs rates not long after he became owner, i don't know if the council obliged.

Public authorities have very prescribed legal rules on what they can and can not do.

It is good though if the Town Hall and/or the University have found ways to support the club - they certainly are not obliged to do so.

Unfortunately I guess the reverse of the coin on this is that no bigger company or high net worth individual wanted to offer a bigger sponsorship deal?

Anyway onwards and upwards.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nigelbwfc wrote:
Dunkels King wrote:
Nigelbwfc wrote:
Dunkels King wrote:
rammywhite wrote:Sluffy,
I've worked in universities for many years (not Bolton U)- and you don't advertise to your domestic market as that's controlled by other factors. Almost all university advertising is aimed at the overseas market which is hugely lucrative- many universities would be in dire straits without it- and that market is much less informed. So it might just be a clever plot on Bolton U's part

Except that Bolton (as a district) voted out of the EU thereby alienating many potential overseas students who now think the UK is a hot bed of xenophobic idiots, and the fact that the Government are now starting to clamp down on overseas students from outside the EU as well. Mind you, that League table of Universities just goes to show no one would be interested to come to Bolton anyway if they have any sense ! That aside, the name is embarrasing. If the best we could get is Bolton Polytechnic University as sponsors it's a pretty sad time for us. I cannot believe that they could afford to stump up a significant amount of money. Maybe we should have had a whip round on here and got it named the Bolton Nuts Arena or similar Smile
Considering the University owns quite a bit of land in the town centre, including moor lane and right up to the town hall, then I think they have more money than you might think. The Universitys plan to build a number of building around moor lane is food for thought.

That's fair enough, and I have been away from Bolton for many years, but the impression I get is that businesses cannot get out of Bolton fast enough. I heard that Shop wise it is all Betting and Pound stores now ? Correct me if I am wrong. On another thread people say they avoid the Centre of Bolton now, not just because there are hardly any decent Shops, but because you stand a fair chance of getting involved in anyone elses fights in the evening. My question would be how do the University own all this land ? Was it gifted to them by the Council ?
Can't get to the bottom of why the local University is so rich and land grabbing. It's probably all the student fees they're getting. The University has bought the land, seemingly without it being rendered, but just because it's not in the newspapers doesn't mean anything underhand has happened, eg moor lane being owned by the University without any of us knowing it had been up for sale. 

However, student flats and a senate building are planned there
My grandad had a shop at the bottom of Deane Rd that was compulsorily purchased in the 1960s to build BIT and I remember all the businesses in the area were given no choice but to find somewhere else. They bought a helluva lot of land at the time so perhaps it was all acquired on the cheap back then?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Nigelbwfc wrote:
Dunkels King wrote:
Nigelbwfc wrote:
Dunkels King wrote:
rammywhite wrote:Sluffy,
I've worked in universities for many years (not Bolton U)- and you don't advertise to your domestic market as that's controlled by other factors. Almost all university advertising is aimed at the overseas market which is hugely lucrative- many universities would be in dire straits without it- and that market is much less informed. So it might just be a clever plot on Bolton U's part

Except that Bolton (as a district) voted out of the EU thereby alienating many potential overseas students who now think the UK is a hot bed of xenophobic idiots, and the fact that the Government are now starting to clamp down on overseas students from outside the EU as well. Mind you, that League table of Universities just goes to show no one would be interested to come to Bolton anyway if they have any sense ! That aside, the name is embarrasing. If the best we could get is Bolton Polytechnic University as sponsors it's a pretty sad time for us. I cannot believe that they could afford to stump up a significant amount of money. Maybe we should have had a whip round on here and got it named the Bolton Nuts Arena or similar Smile
Considering the University owns quite a bit of land in the town centre, including moor lane and right up to the town hall, then I think they have more money than you might think. The Universitys plan to build a number of building around moor lane is food for thought.

That's fair enough, and I have been away from Bolton for many years, but the impression I get is that businesses cannot get out of Bolton fast enough. I heard that Shop wise it is all Betting and Pound stores now ? Correct me if I am wrong. On another thread people say they avoid the Centre of Bolton now, not just because there are hardly any decent Shops, but because you stand a fair chance of getting involved in anyone elses fights in the evening. My question would be how do the University own all this land ? Was it gifted to them by the Council ?
Can't get to the bottom of why the local University is so rich and land grabbing. It's probably all the student fees they're getting. The University has bought the land, seemingly without it being rendered, but just because it's not in the newspapers doesn't mean anything underhand has happened, eg moor lane being owned by the University without any of us knowing it had been up for sale. 

However, student flats and a senate building are planned there
My grandad had a shop at the bottom of Deane Rd that was compulsorily purchased in the 1960s to build BIT and I remember all the businesses in the area were given no choice but to find somewhere else. They bought a helluva lot of land at the time so perhaps it was all acquired on the cheap back then?

I would have thought the Town Hall acquired the land and owned the then newly built BIT?

I'm not sure what happened when the University started as to if they inherited the land and building from the Town Hall, bought them, or perhaps simply hold a long lease over them?

Also I've no idea if the old Bolton College when it was sold off came under the Town Hall at the time or had anything to do with the University - and if so which of them received the money when the land it sat on was sold off.

It does seem strange if in fact they do own land at Moor Lane and Le Man's Crescent unless it was former Town Hall land/buildings that got transferred over to the University when it was established (if indeed such a thing happened?).

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

QUOTE PROPERLY

Bolton Nuts

Admin

The problem with this new name is that it sounds like the university football team will be playing there!

It's one step away from letting Manchester United sponsor us. The Manchester United Stadium.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thank god, awful name is macron

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Thank god, awful name is macron
Dunno - it has an almost presidential ring to it.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:Thank god, awful name is macron
Dunno - it has an almost presidential ring to it.

I don’t wanna be associated with a limp wristed Frenchman

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I bet you loads of students will pitch up here for interviews!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum