Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

REACTION: Wanderers snatch stunning win at West Brom

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Whites had won just once away in the league in 12 months – beating Sheffield United in December – but earned a shock in at The Hawthorns in front of 2,500 travelling fans thanks to goals from debutants Josh Magennis and Yanic Wildschut.

Magennis opened the scoring on 18 minutes, heading home Sammy Ameobi’s cross but Harvey Barnes drew the Baggies level just before half time with a world class finish from 25 yards.

The game was tense in the second half – and Ameobi limped off with a hip injury – but Wildschut produced a winner in the last minute when he guided home David Wheater’s knockdown from Josh Vela’s corner.

There was still time for Ahmed Hegazi to hit the bar in injury time but Wanderers held on to claim three points, which means they have already bettered their tally for the opening 11 games of last season.

“It was great to get that late goal,” Parkinson said. “I thought the discipline of the performance deserved at least a point and the three is a massive bonus.

“The goal they got just before half time was right out of the top drawer and I said to the lads at half time you can’t let that lift them and affect us.

“That was my big concern at half time because our shape was excellent and everyone was doing their role within that framework.

“West Brom are a good side and the likes of Andy Taylor and David Wheater have come back in pre-season looking in good shape. You could see that as the game went on.

“The other thing I was pleased with was the three subs – Gary O’Neil gave us that calmness on the ball, Yanic Wildschut got the goal remembering his role on a set play and Craig Noone did some terrific things for us.

“It’s so important because everyone wants to play in the first game of the season and when you don’t you can feel a little bit knocked. But they came on and did really well.”

New signing Magennis was given a hero’s ovation for his hard-working performance, and was handed a big pat on the back from his manager.

“He showed what he’s all about – honestly, challenging, running, getting hold of the ball for us. It was a very good debut, especially getting that goal,” Parkinson added.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum