Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Jonathan Grounds signs on loan

+6
Sluffy
MartinBWFC
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Boggersbelief
BoltonTillIDie
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bolton Wanderers are pleased to announce the signing of Jonathan Grounds on a season-long loan from Birmingham City.

The 30-year-old makes the temporary switch to the University of Bolton Stadium after four years at St Andrew’s.

Born in Thornaby-on-Tees, the left-back made his foray into the game with Middlesbrough after coming through their youth set-up and had five years as a professional on Teesside, enjoying loan stints with Norwich City, Hibernian, Chesterfield and Yeovil Town.

Departing the Riverside Stadium in 2012, he moved down to the North West and spent two seasons with Oldham Athletic in League One.

His efforts caught the eye of Birmingham and in the summer of 2014, the Blues moved to take him to St Andrew’s where he has been a stalwart in defence for the Midlands based outfit ever since.

Commenting on his move to the University of Bolton Stadium, Grounds said: "I’m really excited to get going.

"I’m really pleased that I’m at Bolton Wanderers and I’m looking forward to meeting everyone and getting going.

"Speaking to the manager was definitely one of the things that helped me make my decision, as well as how much he wanted to get me up here.

"It’s going to be a good place for me to come and play football and I’m ready for the challenge."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Doubt he’s any better than Taylor. It could’ve been Robinson if we weren’t so skint. BOLLOCKS

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WANDERERS have signed Birmingham City full-back Jonathan Grounds on a season-long loan.

The 30-year-old left-sided defender has been a regular at St Andrew’s in the last four seasons, playing 170 games for the Blues at Championship level.

But with financial issues at the fore in Garry Monk’s squad the decision was taken not to grant Grounds a squad number – which left scope for Phil Parkinson to make his move.

The Wanderers boss has been seeking experienced competition for Andy Taylor and has now finally landed his man.

Grounds has 374 career appearances and began his career at Middlesbrough and game through the Teesside youth system alongside the likes of Taylor and David Wheater.

He had loan spells with Norwich, Hibs, Chesterfield and Yeovil and moved on to play two seasons at Oldham Athletic in League One.

Grounds was taken to Birmingham in the 2014/15 season by Lee Clark and was first-choice for three full campaigns.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never heard of him.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Underwhelmed.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Underwhelmed.
Why?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Apparently Grounds has also played centre back on a regular basis in the past, so that would be handy to have extra cover there too - particularly as I would guess he's a natural left footed player and thus cover for Beevers if required.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:Apparently Grounds has also played centre back on a regular basis in the past, so that would be handy to have extra cover there too - particularly as I would guess he's a natural left footed player and thus cover for Beevers if required.

Or better still his replacement, Beevers is absolutely horrific at this level.

Solid championship player from what I’ve heard. We need a few more of them in the squad, it’s a long season.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:Solid championship player from what I’ve heard.

Where did you hear this?

I think you're making it up.

Blues fans, being from Birmingham you meet a lot of them unfortunately.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He was a regular for Birmingham until this season looking at his stats but i don't remember him when we've played them to be honest. 
Would have preferred Robinson back but as we all know Wigan only scout players that either have played for us or ones we are interested in.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:
Why?
Because although he's a solid enough Championship level player I was really hoping for a bit more pace down the left. Beggars can't be choosers though.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

He's a good lad old Coffee.

I knew his brother young Gone-to.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:He's a good lad old Coffee.

I knew his brother young Gone-to.
I'm sorry, but those jokes are grounds for legal action.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I know, I'm truly ashamed of myself.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:
Why?
Because although he's a solid enough Championship level player I was really hoping for a bit more pace down the left. Beggars can't be choosers though.
Lusty while I sympathise to a point I'll be happy if he defends well and stops us being weak down that flank. To be honest I've seen very little of Grounds but from what I've seen and read he's a solid stopper who will strengthen our back line. In my opinion this is actually a pretty good deal for us and him. He gets regular first team football and we get a stronger defence.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:
Why?
Lusty while I sympathise to a point I'll be happy if he defends well and stops us being weak down that flank. T
I believe Taylor already does those things competently. Nothing wrong in hoping for an upgrade.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:
Why?
Lusty while I sympathise to a point I'll be happy if he defends well and stops us being weak down that flank. T
I believe Taylor already does those things competently. Nothing wrong in hoping for an upgrade.
True enough but what happens if he gets injured or suspended? Sure we'd all like someone better than him but we don't have the resources to go out and buy the players we'd really like to have. Since Robinson's gone to Wigan I'd say Grounds is a fine alternative especially as a loan signing. I think he's a bit stronger and quicker than Taylor so wingers will find it harder to beat him but Taylor's probably better when he has the ball. It's a swings and roundabouts thing really but for my money stopping the opposition is the most important thing our defence has to do and I think Grounds will do that well.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:
Why?
True enough but what happens if he gets injured or suspended? Sure we'd all like someone better than him but we don't have the resources to go out and buy the players we'd really like to have. Since Robinson's gone to Wigan I'd say Grounds is a fine alternative especially as a loan signing. I think he's a bit stronger and quicker than Taylor so wingers will find it harder to beat him but Taylor's probably better when he has the ball. It's a swings and roundabouts thing really but for my money stopping the opposition is the most important thing our defence has to do and I think Grounds will do that well.
Hopefully. I just can't get too excited about signing a player who can't get into Birmingham's team, but we'll see how he goes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum