Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton keeper makes goal forecast ahead of Millwall trip

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers’ strikers can get back among the goals at Millwall – if they keep the faith.

Ben Alnwick is backing the likes of Erhun Oztumer, Josh Magennis and Sammy Ameobi to come good at The Den and end Bolton’s barren run of four games without a goal.

The numbers make even worse reading when you consider Wanderers have hit the back of the net just once in nearly 12 hours of football, stretching back to the home win against Derby County.

But Alnwick believes the quality will shine through in Phil Parkinson’s attack, eventually.

“I know we’ve got it in us to score more goals than we have been doing,” he told The Bolton News. “I look at Ozzie (Erhun Oztumer), who I played with at Peterborough, and I know his finishing is top drawer.

“Josh (Magennis) started the season like a house on fire and showed he can score goals at this level. But all strikers go through these spells, and it’s just a case of keep doing the right things and it’ll turn for you.

“We’re on a tough run. But we’re on a tough run together and there’s no use pointing at the strikers and saying it’s not going right. We’ve all got to work through it.”

Twelve months ago, Wanderers had stabilised after a terrible start to go seven games unbeaten. Ameobi’s goals had been a big factor in their recovery as had the ever-improving form of Gary Madine.

Alnwick won’t be looking back with regret, and insists the current crop can go on another steady run.

“Gaz went for £6million for a reason,” he said. “He was absolutely flying at that stage, so I don’t think it’s fair to compare with last year.

“Sammy coming back in for us is huge. He played well against Swansea and you look at the one he hit – that goes in, and we’re not having this conversation.

“At the other end, their lad hits one into the top corner and it sticks. That’s the way it has been for us.

“It doesn’t need to be a worldie. We’d take a goal off someone’s backside at the moment, it can be as scruffy as you like. But we have to keep faith that it will happen against Millwall.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

More drivel.

Why don't they just shut up.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Because they have to say something or get called out for being too arrogant to speak to the press and fans. Sure it's a very predictable 'can do' speech but what else do you expect Nat?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Because they have to say something or get called out for being too arrogant to speak to the press and fans. Sure it's a very predictable 'can do' speech but what else do you expect Nat?

Do Bolton fans expect the players to say something? I certainly don't.

I'd rather a wall of silence than this clichéd guff.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I agree Nat but the League itself requires players and managers to cooperate with the media and refusing to speak to the press can actually land people in trouble. Remember how many times Fergie was told off for refusing to speak to certain journalists and organisations? The FA and League were still unhappy when he sent his assistant out to speak to them instead.

Add in that players and managers are now being taught what to say and how by various agents and consultants and it's no wonder every press conference or quote sounds the same. Personally I think if there's nothing new to say then they shouldn't have to say anything at all but the League doesn't see it that way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum