Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc) gone too far?

+5
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
Natasha Whittam
bwfc71
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Today a 15 year old boy was sentanced to 1 year in youth detention centre to be followed by 3 years psychiatric help for murder all because a row erupted between friends on Facebook

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19467308

This follows on from the students charged with incite to violence during the summer "riots" of last year in the UK.

Should these socila sites be more regulated?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Social media sites serve no purpose whatsoever. There is a reason you haven't spoken to Stacey from Bury for 20 years.

The standard of young people in this country has dropped to an all time low thanks to social media sites. They can't spell, can't be without a phone in their hand, and most importantly, they can't interact with real people.

Coyle out.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I think string has gone too far, I heard about someone being strangled with it in the Central African Republic last week.

String out.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think like anything there's a down side too it yeah.

but in the main i think most of it has had a positive impact on society.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
but in the main i think most of it has had a positive impact on society.

For example?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

well it's been credited with playing a role in the arab spring for example. Allowing oppressed people a voice.

It's also a fantastic source of news, views and opinion and at the very minimum a great communication tool.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:well it's been credited with playing a role in the arab spring for example. Allowing oppressed people a voice.

It's also a fantastic source of news, views and opinion and at the very minimum a great communication tool.

They don't have a voice just because they can send a tweet. It changes nothing.

I get my news from the BBC website. The greatest communication tool is word of mouth. When was the last time you spoke to a real person Hipster?

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Rows that end in someone murdering another can erupt without the need for Twitter or Facebook. It's not the sites that are bad/dangerous, it's the people that use them.

Nearly everybody on Facebook annoys me - I don't know why I bother.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:well it's been credited with playing a role in the arab spring for example. Allowing oppressed people a voice.

They don't have a voice just because they can send a tweet. It changes nothing.

I get my news from the BBC website. The greatest communication tool is word of mouth. When was the last time you spoke to a real person Hipster?

Years... Crying or Very sad Whats communication with a real person like nat?

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/facebook-and-twitter-key-to-arab-spring-uprisings-report

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

Nearly everybody on Facebook annoys me - I don't know why I bother.

Ha ha, me too. If someone sends me a friend request it actually makes me angry - and if I happen to see someone's quote for the day (I'm sitting at home watching Corrie) I want to waterboard them.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Im more into facefuck than facebook.

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

The worrying thing is that you can actually get sent down for writing a comment on a social media site, be it telling everyone to go and smash up your local phones4u shop or a racist comment. Whatever happened to freedom of speech ? It's amazing how it is an offence to call someone an insulting name related to the colour of their skin, yet not about the natural colour of their hair (as in Megson). That in itself could be construed as being as bad as racism. You don't hear people saying "die you blonde haired twat or fuck of brunette bollocks". In theory you could get in trouble for a lot of comments on this site. Also some of the tweets you see like "die you wanker" aimed at Coyle etc, why are these never investigated ? I don't think the social media sites can be blamed for anything. It's the moronic idiots who act on comments that are the problem.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That soft bastard Mark Halsey has made a complaint to the police over comments made on Twitter about him and his performance at Anfield yesterday.

While I don't condone the cancer jibes, did this idiot think by having a Twitter account he would get lots of positive messages? He's a ref, they are hated.

Attention seeker.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think Mark does have an account but his son does. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I think a bit of abuse comes with that job, but death threats and cancer jibes are just sick.

Fair enough if he wants to take a stand, he's a grown man his choice.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't know if anybody noticed but last Wednesday, just one day after the shooting of the two cops in Manchester, some 22 year Scouser posted a spoof Facebook account saying that Cregan should be given an MBE.

What was surprising was how quickly the authorities were able to act. The Facebook page was closed the same day and the scouser was arrested. At one time it used to take ages to track down trolls but the authorities can now act a lot quicker in dealing with deeply offensive remarks posted on the internet. Let that be a warning to anyone who thinks they are safe in posting abuse on the internet.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I don't think Mark does have an account but his son does. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I think a bit of abuse comes with that job, but death threats and cancer jibes are just sick.

Fair enough if he wants to take a stand, he's a grown man his choice.

Correct Hipster. But then, some people are sick or do say sick things. But should we censor them? They are entitled to be sick. It's just unfortunate and not very nice. But some people are just like that. Not nice. Do we have to ban everything that is unpleasant? (and live in a pretend world where it seems as though everything said is a nice thing?)

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well i agree with free speech.

but you've got to abide by the laws of the land. Otherwise it's a form of anarchism.

I just don't understand the mentality of the people who write these things. I bet most of it comes from grown men too. Absolutely pathetic individuals. I'll take a punt... probably chavs.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A combination of the law and social media has made it even easier for famous people to run to the police when they get a bit of abuse. I've lost count of the number of so-called famous people who have shut their Twitter/Facebook account because someone called them a name.

I mean, if you're Stan Collymore, surely you understand that 95% of the nation thinks you're a twat and is going to say so if they think you're going to read it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum