Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

To Tip, Or Not To Tip?

+11
largehat
Angry Dad
Mr White
Hipster_Nebula
Numpty 28723
xmiles
Reebok Trotter
aaron_bwfc
doffcocker
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 11:21

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There was a time when you could decide who and when to tip all by yourself. If the service you received was good you could leave a tip, if it was crap you didn't. Simple.

However, in the last 12 months I've noticed a lot of restaurants are including the tip as a service charge on their bills, anywhere between 10-15%.

At the weekend I ate in a posh hotel in York. Nice meal, nice surroundings but very average service considering it wasn't busy. The bill for two of us came to £92 which I instantly thought was a lot - when I looked closely I noticed a 12.5% service charge at the bottom of the bill. I sent the bill back and asked them to remove it. But let's be honest, this is England and most people would pay it and moan about it when they got home.

How do you feel about service charges and tipping in general? Surely including the tip in the price of your meal creates lazy table staff with no motivation to give good service.

2To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 11:52

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Not as bad as the States...

When I first went during the early 1990's they expected 10% tip, it is now 20% tip as the norm now!!!

3To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 12:01

i rarely tip, why should a taxi driver get a tip for doing his job?

4To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 13:35

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

As you can imagine I don't get to many English places where tipping really goes on. The poshest I've eaten in the last year is a bowl of chips from the Blundell Arms on Chorley Old Road.

I/we usually leave a bit of something when I/we eat out abroad but I don't see why people should. Are labour costs not included in the price of the meal/drinks?

I wish liquidation on any place with the audacity to include a tipping charge on the bills.

5To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 13:43

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I always tip on holiday, but rarely do it over here for some reason.

In my experience you get much better customer service abraod than you do in this country which is probably the main reason behind me rarely tipping people over here.

6To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 13:56

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As long as you avoid fly tipping you should be okay.

7To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 13:57

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I hate tipping on principle but I still tip. The French passed a law a few years ago to force restaurants to include the service charge on the bill so that there is no need to tip. If people do a job they should be paid for it, tipping is just wrong.

I normally tip 10% in cash in a restaurant if the service is good and I will leave nothing if the service is bad.

8To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 14:24

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It's funny how it's only certain occupations where tipping is deemed appropriate. Someone did a sketch on TV recently where they went into a Post Office, bought a stamp and said "have one yerself, mate."

Then there are those who maybe deserve a tip but miss out completely. Who's ever tipped a lollypop lady, for example?
To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Zombie-lollipop-lady-costume

9To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 16:09

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I didn't think i'd be the first to post this....

10To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 16:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Unless you were in Reservoir Dogs how is that relevant?

11To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 16:49

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not sure, how is a discussion about tipping relavent to a thread about tipping habits.

I'll get back to you...

12To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 17:01

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I'm not sure, how is a discussion about tipping relavent to a thread about tipping habits.

I'll get back to you...

The question was how do YOU feel about tipping, not some film made years ago.

13To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 17:17

Mr White

Mr White
David Ngog
David Ngog

I was in that film. I'm the guy with the wobbly spoon.

14To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 18:01

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I allway's tip waitresses they get paid shit money work long hours. I know some, and their managers try to stiff them for the hours they have worked to cut costs.I know this for a fact, managers of greedy companies like Harvesters and the like. I know a few waitresses in london one is an FWB She works 12 hr shifts and tight arsed fat rocky horror eating bastards waddle out after getting good service without leaving a penny. She get's a party of 10, runs around like mad for them the bill comes to say 150 quid and not a fucking penny from the cunts. I wish they had to book with an address or phone number Because i'd give them a fucking tip. I once was at her place waiting for her to come home late and when she did that had happened and she was so down she was crying so i gave her one instead a big one too. So some shits out there owe me some money,i'd love to collect. These girls sometimes work 12hrs and only get 20 mins break, So leave them a tip you tight arsed twats.

15To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 18:04

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Well said AD.

16To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 18:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:I allway's tip waitresses they get paid shit money work long hours. I know some, and their managers try to stiff them for the hours they have worked to cut costs.I know this for a fact, managers of greedy companies like Harvesters and the like. I know a few waitresses in london one is an FWB She works 12 hr shifts and tight arsed fat rocky horror eating bastards waddle out after getting good service without leaving a penny. She get's a party of 10, runs around like mad for them the bill comes to say 150 quid and not a fucking penny from the cunts. I wish they had to book with an address or phone number Because i'd give them a fucking tip. I once was at her place waiting for her to come home late and when she did that had happened and she was so down she was crying so i gave her one instead a big one too. So some shits out there owe me some money,i'd love to collect. These girls sometimes work 12hrs and only get 20 mins break, So leave them a tip you tight arsed twats.

Utter bollocks. So she should get a tip just because she's on crap money? Most people who can afford £150 for a meal will tip, perhaps your friend is just a pisspoor waitress?

17To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:14

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:I allway's tip waitresses they get paid shit money work long hours. I know some, and their managers try to stiff them for the hours they have worked to cut costs.I know this for a fact, managers of greedy companies like Harvesters and the like. I know a few waitresses in london one is an FWB She works 12 hr shifts and tight arsed fat rocky horror eating bastards waddle out after getting good service without leaving a penny. She get's a party of 10, runs around like mad for them the bill comes to say 150 quid and not a fucking penny from the cunts. I wish they had to book with an address or phone number Because i'd give them a fucking tip. I once was at her place waiting for her to come home late and when she did that had happened and she was so down she was crying so i gave her one instead a big one too. So some shits out there owe me some money,i'd love to collect. These girls sometimes work 12hrs and only get 20 mins break, So leave them a tip you tight arsed twats.

Utter bollocks. So she should get a tip just because she's on crap money? Most people who can afford £150 for a meal will tip, perhaps your friend is just a pisspoor waitress?

Fuck off whittam you prick,you are a waste of space.

18To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:28

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

If i was you whittam i'd check my meal for any unwanted extra's on returning to a restaurant with your attitude. I bet you have eaten some stuff and deserved it.

19To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:If i was you whittam i'd check my meal for any unwanted extra's on returning to a restaurant with your attitude. I bet you have eaten some stuff and deserved it.

So now you're saying I should tip just to avoid having restaurant staff put stuff in my food? I thought better of you AD, for all your bravado you're a bit of a soft bugger.

20To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Empty Re: To Tip, Or Not To Tip? Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:58

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:If i was you whittam i'd check my meal for any unwanted extra's on returning to a restaurant with your attitude. I bet you have eaten some stuff and deserved it.

So now you're saying I should tip just to avoid having restaurant staff put stuff in my food? I thought better of you AD, for all your bravado you're a bit of a soft bugger.

You amuse me, keep it up babe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum