Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'I'm here to play games and score goals' – Murphy lays down the law

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Daryl Murphy has signed for Wanderers for one reason only.

The Republic of Ireland international makes no bones about the fact he has dropped a division to play games at Bolton and, more importantly, to continue a distinguished and often prolific career.

Target man Murphy has never played outside the top two divisions but jumped at the opportunity to join Bolton, where he links up with his ex-Nottingham Forest team-mate Liam Bridcutt.

Brushing off the club’s position in League One’s relegation zone, or any lingering threat of further punishment from the EFL, the experienced front man has laid down exactly why he opted to terminate his contract at the City Ground.

“I’m here to play games and show that I am still capable of scoring lots of goals,” he told The Bolton News. “If there’s pressure, fine, there’s nothing wrong with a bit of pressure.

“I have always been the same, if I’m not playing then I’ll look somewhere else. I am not going to stick around and kick my heels in the Under-23s, sit on the bench and get forgotten about.

“I looked at Bolton’s situation and thought ‘right, I’m going in there and I’m going to enjoy every minute and embrace it’ and that starts now.”

Murphy has travelled with the squad to Portsmouth but Keith Hill has remained tight-lipped on whether the Waterford-born front man will get his first start at Fratton Park.

A calf injury has delayed his debut – much to the 36-year-old’s chagrin – but with the prospect of a regular football in sight the former Celtic and Sunderland front man is keen to make up for lost time.

Wanderers have endured their fair share of problems of late but Murphy is not concerned with context, simply focusing on getting his Bolton career on track.

“It doesn’t worry me. The only thing I was bothered about is coming in and not getting going, I was absolutely devastated when I couldn’t play,” he said.

“I’m here to play games, to hit the ground running, but after I’d gone all pre-season with no problems I picked up a little niggling injury after a few sessions.

“When I spoke to the manager I got the impression that everything is settling down. Training has been of a really high standard and from what I have seen of the games we’ve played well in spells. None of that concerns me.

“All we need to do now is start winning games. A couple of results, especially at home, and we’ll get that bit of momentum.

“I have watched our games and other teams in the league and I honestly don’t think there is anything we need to be too worried about. We just need to get that ball rolling.”

Murphy is not surprised by the start his former City Ground team-mate Bridcutt has made at Bolton – and believes he should be still plying his trade in the Championship.

“Liam should be playing at Forest right now,” he said. “He has been really unlucky. I don’t know why he has been overlooked in the last couple of seasons.

“He has been excellent so far and that shows his hunger. He’s here to play games too. We want to play football, it is that simple.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum