Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s

+2
Natasha Whittam
largehat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 03:53

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

We've had some good threads on Bolton Nuts about favourite situation comedies, favourite lines and so on. When thinking about how to respond in these threads, it occurred to me just how many unspeakably bad sit-coms were made in the 1980s.

The 1980s gave us Only Fools and Horses, Blackadder, Bread. Yes Minister, The Young Ones, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and Hi-De-Hi! But for every original, innovative and enduring series like this, there seemed to be ten that were a load of old guff.

The 1980s were the last decade in which nearly all of us only had access to only four relevision channels, so anything that was on BBC1 or ITV during prime time had no place to hide.

I give you largehat's guide to lamentable situation comedies of the 1980s.

Never The Twain - 1981-91

Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s 0809220004168

The opening credits were quite interesting, in which the faces of the main characters merged into opposing toby jugs, but what followed was a real snoozefest starring Windsor Davies and Donald Sinden as rival antique dealers in Thatcher's Britain. They squeezed eleven series out of this horrible, horrible premise.

How many times could Smallbridge and Peel get one over on the other over some fine piece of object d'art spotted gathering dust on the mantelpiece during a house clearance? 67 times over 11 years. They made a series every bloody year for 11 bloody years, but this was no vintage period.

Watching - 1987-1993

Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s KZwGNvaJqCbksVl

You lot have got me all wrong. I am not a cold hearted man. I'm not against romance and love stories taking centre stage and fully accept they can be a vehicle for comedy. Just ask Natasha. Her inbox is full of pictures of my flaccid knob. But ITV punished us on Sundays in the late 80s by broadcasting Watching, starring Emma Wray as a common as dirt Scouse loudmouth and Paul Bown as her dopey moped-riding suitor.

These characters were called Brenda and Malcolm. Our cross to bear was watching these two go on one doomed date after another, waiting for Malcolm to commit some heinously unfunny faux pas such as holding a door open in an unwelcome act of traditional chivalry. If you can imagine a younger version of Kat Slater, that was Brenda. She wore loud dresses, a permanent scowl and big earrings. Yes please ITV, 7 series of this tosh, with end of season cliffhangers such as 'will Malcolm disappoint his domineering mother by getting home at 10.05pm?' and 'will Brenda let him hold her hand at Chester Zoo?'

Perhaps taking her inspiration from Dennis Waterman in 'Minder', Emma Wray sang the theme song "What do I see in him?" herself, and it was spectacularly bad. Bless her heart, she couldn't sing, but like most Scouse birds, she was game.

Me & My Girl - 1984-88

Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Me_and_my_girl_uk-show

Picture the scene.

A middle aged widower spends a lovely sunny afternoon on the beach with his teen-aged daughter. Still measuring their collective loss from the recent death of Mrs Harrop, Mr Harrop and Samantha, united in grief, bond by flying a kite and building sand castles. What we have here is a big shit sandwich, dear, and we're both going to have to take a bite. This invitation extended to the viewing public.

This was the disgustingly heart-warming opening sequence of Me & My Girl, starring Richard O'Sullivan as an impossible-to-punch ad exec (whose office was unrealistically relaxed, it was just him and Tim Brooke-Taylor, who played the guy who invented the golden-ticket-finding computer in Willy Wonka) and Joanne Ridley as his daughter. You can keep the spade; just pass me the bucket. Quick.

Naturally, storylines revolved around Simon's attempts at finding a new girlfriend and his conflicting affections for these girlfriends and Samantha, his sweet, perfect daughter, who, if I may be permitted to lower the tone, I secretly thought he possibly wanted to bone. She was quite fit in a 1980s way. I don't remember the series lasting until Samantha got to legal and respectable boning age.

I think I might have turned out to be a normal and well adjusted person if I hadn't been exposed to this liberally sugar-coated pap at an early age.

Dear John - 1986-87

Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Dear_John_%28UK%29

On the off chance you want to hunt down old episodes of Dear John, I've saved you many hours of abject despair by posted a picture of the DVD cover above. If you look at it, it provides everything you need to know about the premise of this show. You may thank me now.

In a low point for John Sullivan's career, he wrote a situation comedy about a mackintosh wearing drip who comes home from his dead-end office job one day to find a letter from his terminally bored wife telling him she's been being screwed vigorously by his treacherous mate and so naturally, he has to move out. She is having the house and kid and he hasn't got the gumption to do anything other than pack up his y-fronts and crossword book and seek out new lodgings. Naturally, he only gets to see the kid on Sundays when everything in their hometown is closed. He spends his weekday evening lamenting the misfortune of losing both his wife and his best mate in one fell swoop and systematically searching the lonely hearts column in the local rag, looking for a new victim to be subject to the irresistable charm and sophistication of this dynamic specimen of manhood.

Ralph Bates, who played the titular John, died prematurely, bringing the show to an abrupt end. I can't say I'm sorry. It's not that Dear John was desperately unfunny, but it gave too many women ideas.

Sorry! - 1982-88

Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sorry-ronnie-corbett

Ronnie Corbett cashed in on his 'A' list status by signing up for this pedestrian and unoriginal affair - once again set in an alien bourgeois alternate reality. A 41 year old librarian still living at home. A domineering mother who connives to keep him within suckling distance of her breast. Are you noticing a recurring theme in these shows? Yes, that's right, the 80s were a decade rampant in male emasculation in popular culture.

Our hero Timothy just can't strike out for himself because mother Phyllis keeps his cock in a jar on her bedside table. On the opposite bedside table rests Timothy's henpecked father Sidney's cock.

Can you imagine anyone ever making a sitcom about a domineering older man who won't let his daughter leave home and manipulates her so she stays at home and does as he says? Of course not, that would be terribly sexist.

The legacy of this series is the catchphrase "Lanuage, Timothy!" which rang out around the Lumsden household if Corbett's lexis strayed beyond Readers' Digest levels of acceptability. It was an 80s buzzword everywhere from Tunbridge Wells to Chipping Sodbury. More fool you if you didn't use it while it was in fashion.

Did you watch any of these sitcoms? Am I doing them a dis-service? What gash sitcoms have I missed?

2Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 08:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I watched all five of those sitcoms with my parents. As a kid they were great and I remember enjoying all of them at some point. But some sitcoms don't age well, plus our tastes change as we get older.

Everyone loves The Inbetweeners, but in 25 years time it will look just as dated as the above.

3Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 09:59

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I have seen all of those as well.

Funnily enough I actually agree with you with regards to Me and My Girl and Richard O'Sullivan's characheter wanting to bone his daughter - possibly a subcontext storyline throughout!

If I remember well.....

Never the Twain was Thames production

Watching was Granada Production

Mr and My Girl production was LWT Production

and both Dear John and Sorry were BBC Productions

But dont forget about these:-

1. That's My Boy (Yorkshire TV) starring Molly Sugden (1981 - 1986) - 5 series/37 episodes

Ida Willis, an interfering housekeeper, is employed by Dr. Robert Price and his wife, Angie, and moves into their London flat. However, she soon discovers that Robert is the son she gave up for adoption when he was a baby, and she proceeds to call him Shane, the name she gave him when he was born. Other characters include Ida's troublesome brother Wilfred, and Robert's adoptive mother, Mrs. Price, an upmarket widow with whom Ida does not get on.

2. Home To Roost (Yorkshire TV) starring JohnThaw and Reece Dinsdale (1985-1989) - 4 series/29 episodes

The premise is that Henry Willows is forty-something, who has been divorced from his wife for seven years and is perfectly happy living alone. That is, until his eldest child, Matthew arrives to live with him, after being thrown out by his mother. The plots generally revolved around Henry's annoyance at having his solitude disturbed, and the age gap clash.

3. In Loving Memory (Thames/Yorkshire) starring Thora Hird (1979-1984) 1 pilot -Thames, 5 Series/36 episodes - Yorkshire

The year is 1929 and in the opening episode Jeremiah Unsworth, the proprietor of the undertakers, dies. This leaves his widow Ivy (Thora Hird) and gormless nephew Billy (Christopher Beeny) to take over the business.
As might be expected, the accident-prone Ivy and Billy have numerous mishaps, and hardly a funeral goes by without something untoward occurring. Pilot episode was made by Thames in 1969 whilst the Yorkshire TV series was made between 1979 and 1984.

4. Hallelujah! (Yorkshire TV) starring Thora Hird (1983-1984) 2 series/13 episodes

The show was set in the salvation army based in the fictional Yorkshrie town of Brigthorpe during series 1 and in the fictional Yorkshire place of Blackwick during series 2 in the mid 1980s and starred the Thora Hird as Captain Emilt Ridley with the Patsy Rowlands as her niece Alice Meredith with Rosemund Green as Sister Dorothy Smith .

5. Fresh Fields/French Fields (Thames TV) starring Julia McKenzie and Anton Rodgers (1984-1991) 7 series/46 episodes

Hester and William Fields, a devoted middle-class couple with an idyllic suburban lifestyle. William works while Hester keeps home. The crux of the show (and the meaning of the title) was that she was always looking to try new hobbies or find ways to improve her life, much of which exasperated her hard-working husband. At the end of the last series of Fresh Fields (episode 26), William accepted a position with a French company. French Fields follows Hester and William after they make the move to Calais.

6. Brush Strikes (BBC) starring Karl Howman (1986-1991) 5 Series/40 episodes

Jacko works as a house painter alongside his brother-in-law, Eric, who was married to Jacko's sister Jean (Nicky Croydon). He lives with his sister and brother-in-law in a similar set up to Stan Butler's character in On the Buses. Jacko also shares an anti-authority humour. In this case the butt of his humour is his boss, Lionel Bainbridge.

7. Duty Free (Yorkshire) starring Keith Barron and Gwen Taylor (1984-1986) 3 series/22 episodes

Duty Free is about two British couples, David and Amy Pearce and Robert and Linda Cochran, who meet while holidaying at the same Spanish hotel in Marbella and the interruptive affair conducted by David Pearce and Linda Cochran during their break. Another recurring character is the hotel waiter Carlos.

4Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 11:23

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Nice one Chris. I actually thought Duty Free and Brush Strokes were pretty good.

I'd completely forgotten about Home To Roost though. It was kind of like an early 2point4 children but just with the dad and gormless lad as I recall.

5Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 12:08

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

You forgot the middle class waste of talent that was "After Henry" By Simon Brett.
It was about Prunella Scales living with her mother (played by the magnificent Joan Sanderson) and daughter after the death of her husband, the titular Henry. I recently listened to the radio series repeated on Radio 4 extra, which incidentally is the only reason to pay the license fee, and it was a really good listen, full of pathos and brilliant characterization. Some excellent actors involved. But I remember the TV series being pap, and when I looked online and found some footage it was indeed crap. Just too cringe-worthy and stilted.

Some things don't translate I guess.

It was cancelled after the fourth series aired due to the sad death of Joan Sanderson who will be best remembered as the deaf pensioner in Fawlty Towers.

6Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 12:51

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Brush Strokes was funny, I used to look forward to Sunday nights for that one. But perhaps doesn't age well.

But Duty Free is still funny, I watched it recently on some obscure channel and still laughed.

7Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 12:56

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

You forgot that gem Terry and June .

8Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 12:57

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

My favorite was Ever Decreasing Circles.

9Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 13:09

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Potter starring Arther Lowe as Redver's Potter,who retired from potter mints the hotter mints. Loved that one.

Keep it in the family.

Shelley- Hywell Bennett

10Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 15:46

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I got married in 1987 and I'm ashamed to admit that me and the missus used to watch Watching. Some of it was filmed in Sale, just a few miles from where we lived.

My personal favourite sitcom is One foot in the grave.

11Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 18:44

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Brush Strokes was funny, I used to look forward to Sunday nights for that one. But perhaps doesn't age well.

But Duty Free is still funny, I watched it recently on some obscure channel and still laughed.

I remember Brush Strokes being on either a Tuesday or Thursday, never a Sunday - Dear John was on Sunday's.

12Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 20:51

TheHateCamel

TheHateCamel
David Lee
David Lee

I thought brush strokes was a sunday night thing too. Used to remember it being on after my bath having supper

13Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 21:05

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I deffo remember Brush Strokes being on a Sunday night.

I have a soft spot for it because of the Dexy's Midnight Runners theme, Karl Howman kissing the WPC on the cheek and Elmo Putney's wine bar.

I love 'Because of You' and 'Geno' by Dexy's, just a lovely sound.

14Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Empty Re: Lamentable sitcoms of the 1980s Sun Sep 09 2012, 21:18

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We are all partially right!!!!

According to the The British Comedy Guide website, first 3 series was shown on Monday evenings, 4th series was shown on Thursday evenings and final series was shown on Sunday evenings.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/brush_strokes/episodes/5/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum