Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Underachievers

+4
Copper Dragon
xmiles
largehat
doffcocker
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Underachievers Empty Underachievers Sun Sep 09 2012, 22:49

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

A chat with a mate of mine from Wakefield the other day got me thinking about areas of the country where football has never taken off in the way you'd expect.

How, for instance has a city the size of Wakefield (population 325,800) never had a team in the football league? Bristol is a major city and the more successful of it's two teams has nine years top-flight experience. Bradford is huge yet City are a relatively small club. Cornwall is quite sparsely populated but you'd expect at least one football league club nonetheless.

Can you think of more examples and explanations?

2Underachievers Empty Re: Underachievers Sun Sep 09 2012, 22:57

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Wakefield is a rugby league town. The whole town revolves around the rugby league club. Same with Wigan until about 20 years ago - Wigan Athletic's rise through the leagues is remarkable really in that light.

Other examples I can think of, towns and cities without a football league club -

Dudley, Poole, Slough, Telford, Lancaster, Sutton Coldfield, Eastbourne, St Helens and Woking all have populations over 100,000 and no league club.

Same was the case for Crawley and Milton Keynes until recently.

3Underachievers Empty Re: Underachievers Sun Sep 09 2012, 23:00

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Gloucester has a population of 123k and no football history. Compare that with say Norwich (132k) or Preston (114k).

Population figures from Wikipedia.

4Underachievers Empty Re: Underachievers Sun Sep 09 2012, 23:05

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I can't believe that Wakefield (city) has a population of over 300,000, it's no bigger than Burnley.

Surely that has to be the district?

I was going to say Milton Keynes but they've nicked a club.

5Underachievers Empty Re: Underachievers Sun Sep 09 2012, 23:10

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

How about Salford, okay Man city and manu are close by , but the Salford boundary also borders Bolton....I know they've a rugby club.

6Underachievers Empty Re: Underachievers Mon Sep 10 2012, 08:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cumbria is massive, with just one lower league team to show for it. Did I ever mention my vision for Kendal Wanderers?

7Underachievers Empty Re: Underachievers Mon Sep 10 2012, 09:46

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

What about the Isle of Man or Isle of Wight, they're bigger than some towns that have football clubs. Or even Guernsey - I think Matt Le Tissier came from there originally along with a few other useful players.

Perhaps they had teams at one time but they were sunk in some horrific boating accident.

8Underachievers Empty Re: Underachievers Mon Sep 10 2012, 10:26

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Graeme Le Saux came from Jersey as well. Lancaster City has a small team that plays in some obscure league and yet they are dwarfed by Morecambe which has a much smaller population.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum