Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton boss Keith Hill questions red card decision against Portsmouth

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keith Hill questioned whether Portmsouth defender Sean Raggett should have seen red as his side were beaten 1-0 at the UniBol.

Referee Tom Nield chose only to issue a yellow card to the 25-year-old centre-half when he brought down Joe Dodoo on the edge of the box midway through the first half, with the score still goalless.

Wanderers protested that the striker had been denied a clear goalscoring opportunity – and Hill felt his team had been hard done by.

Asked if Pompey should have had 11 players on the pitch after the foul on Dodoo, he told us: “Probably not. I just think it was a strange refereeing performance. Not every contact is a foul, and it seemed that way in the first half.

“I will have to have a look at it back, a few of the staff have already seen it, but potentially there should have been a sending off.

“We have had three sending offs since I have been at the club and, I don’t know… It certainly could have been, couldn’t it?”

To make matters worse, it was Raggett’s header just before half time which was spilled by Remi Matthews into the path of his defensive partner Christian Burgess for what proved to be the winning goal.

Portsmouth boss Kenny Jackett admitted it had been a tight decision but that ref Nield had legitimate reasons for keeping Raggett on the pitch.

Jackett admitted: “It was touch and go. But that wasn’t an automatic red situation.

“Would the keeper have come out? Was the Bolton player going to make it? If there is a covering man or the ball is running away then it is quite close.

“Obviously, the referee deemed that was a close one.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum