Bolton announced earlier this year that they would not be fielding an Under-23s team next season after making the decision to step down to a category three academy.
David Lee’s team played their last fixture on March 9 against Nottingham Forest but have now learned the remaining eight games have been cancelled.
Bolton have competed in the Central League, or its equivalent, for nearly a century, winning the title on four occasions – 1954/55, 1994/95, 2006/07 and 2017/18.
Just two years ago they won the northern title and beat Nottingham Forest in the play-off final – a season which saw Connor Hall hit 22 goals at that level of football.
And the striker was among those who expressed his sadness that the development squad would now be retired.
He said on Twitter: “Two Years ago we won the league and the play offs in what was the most enjoyable season of my career so far.
“What a bunch of lads we had. Sad to see there’s no more Under-23s but there was some great memories with this side that will last forever.”
Harry Brockbank, James Aspinall and Ryan White also paid tribute to the team which also contained the likes of Dennis Politic, Jeff King and Liam Edwards.
A statement from the league said: “The EFL has today confirmed that the Academy Games Programme for the 2019/20 season has been terminated with immediate effect.
“The EFL administers the programme for category three and four clubs (U9 to U18) whilst the Premier League does so for category one and two clubs (U9 to U23) and the decision, which is independent of any discussions regarding the resumption of the 2019/20 campaign for first team football, has been taken to give Academy staff and their players an element of clarity at this challenging time.
“The methodology for determining the final League standings or other outcomes for the season will be decided at a future date.
“Additionally, it is intended that any fixtures for the 2020/21 Academy season will not commence any earlier than would usually be expected.”