Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt's confidence in Bolton's data-driven recruitment

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt trusts that his data-driven recruitment policy will deliver the goods for Bolton Wanderers this summer.

The Wanderers boss has already added four new players – Brandon Comley joining George Taft, Antoni Sarcevic and Eoin Doyle in a squad that will be expected to lead from the front in League Two this season. Each signing is backed up by numbers, and specifically data which has been harnessed by the club through head of football operations, Tobias Phoenix, and the board advisor, Peter Kenyon.

Evatt is confident the process can highlight players which will provide maximum value in each given position on the pitch but he has warned supporters that not all of his signings will be household names.

“We have a very specific way of working,” he told The Bolton News. “I am a firm believer in those methods and the way Tobias and I think is very much aligned.

“Of course there’s a risk element with any signing and things that can go wrong which you cannot totally prepare for, injuries, for example.

“But the more boxes that a player ticks in your algorithm, the more chance I think he has of being a success at your football club.

“Not every player we sign is going to be as well-known to supporters as someone like Eoin Doyle but there is a legitimate, position-specific reason we are looking to bring each one to Bolton Wanderers.

“And, with hard work, I believe the end product on the pitch will be one that fans will be proud to support.”

Evatt has thus far strengthened the central core of the squad in defence, midfield and attack and this week has been strongly linked with Sheffield United goalkeeper Jake Eastwood.

The head coach intends to continue on his very deliberate course through the summer transfer window, a marked departure on what has often become a frantic Supermarket Sweep at Wanderers in recent years.

“That spine of your team is always important but especially so if you are going to challenge for trophies,” he said.

“You need experience and strength in the core of your team, and then to add the youth – energy, pace and power around that.

“That’s the model and we are well on with our targets now.

“We’re not just throwing darts at the board and hoping it works out, the whole thing is tied to analysis and data on what these players can bring to us.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Moneyball is back!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum