Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers' dressing room won't play blame game, says Ricardo Santos

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ricardo Santos believes senior members of the Wanderers dressing room will rally around their under-fire team-mates.

Ian Evatt’s side contributed to their own downfall in the FA Cup against Crewe, with individual mistakes costing three goals on the day.

Keeper Billy Crellin bore the brunt of fans' criticism as the Whites fell at the first hurdle for the second successive campaign.

But Santos – who went through the mill himself earlier this season – says the disappointment will be kept in-house as Bolton strive to find some consistency.

“Nobody wants to lose in the first round of the FA Cup but at 1-1 I was feeling it was a game we could have won,” he said. “It was a sloppy second goal to concede.

“I thought from there we could still come back into the game but they had a bit more than us in the end.

“As you can see the goals we scored, they were great quality, you know we’re capable of doing it. But it’s the consistency to keep that up through a game.

“It only comes with concentration and confidence. Everyone needs to stick together and believing we will turn that corner because when we do I think we’ll be a dangerous side.

“It’s a team game. You can’t get on at individuals. We have to improve as a team and we’ll do it together. Players will make mistakes so you have to be able to react, make sure you don’t make them in other games, we’ll stick together on that.”

Santos had an inconsistent start to his Bolton career, looking ill-at-ease playing on the right side of the back three but has since been a revelation in the central role.

“It’s part of football,” he said. “This is a big club and everyone wants Bolton to be back where they should be, so it’s understandable. Stuff like that I don’t really look into it – but if I did it would motivate me to prove what I can do. I know what I am capable of doing.

“Right now I am getting fitter and understanding the middle role more. At the minute we’re not getting the results but I am enjoying my football and I just hope it can have an effect, rub off on a few more of my team-mates because we need to get going.”

Santos is keen to make a success of his return to the EFL after spending two seasons playing in the National League with Barnet.

Earlier in his career it looked like he was destined for bigger things as he arrived in senior football with Peterborough United – playing regularly for two campaigns in League One under Darren Ferguson and Graham Westley. But the arrival of Grant McCann saw him drop down the pecking order and, by his own admission, complicated his career progression.

“I was playing a lot at Peterborough but then a new gaffer came in and decided to play other people over me,” he said. “Maybe he had his favourites, I’m not really sure.

“I was young at the time so I didn’t really understand not playing football. I just wanted to get out.

“I probably could have gone out on loan but instead I just wanted to go.

“It’s a good thing now because I’m here at Bolton. At the time I went to Barnet, the first season I went there we got relegated and I was wondering if it was the right move for me but things got better and I am here now so I think it has worked out for me.

“Football has ups and downs, you get good days and bad days. You just want more of the better ones.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum