Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Own it!' - Wanderers boss forecasts physical game against Carlisle United

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers have been warned to expect another aerial bombardment at Carlisle United.

Just as he did before the trip to Cheltenham, Ian Evatt predicts his side will have to cope with some heavyweight football at Brunton Park on Boxing Day.

Chris Beech’s side have played the fewest passes and have the lowest average possession of any side in League Two but nevertheless sit proudly in third place after a fine start to the campaign.

Only Port Vale have scored more goals from set pieces – so often Bolton’s Achilles Heel this season – and Evatt believes his players will have to show the same resolve as they did earlier this month at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium if they are to claim a result.

“Carlisle have played nine at home, won eight and lost one,” he said. “The team they lost against was Cheltenham and they are very similar, they are direct, stick it on you, physical, so I’m sure that game would have been a joy for spectators.

“It will be tough, so we are going to have to roll up our sleeves, dig and fight, have the same desire as we did at Cheltenham.

“They will try and rough us up, put us out of our stride, but we have to stand up. We have to defend with aggression and intensity and then hurt them on the counter-attack.

“The disappointing thing at Cheltenham was that we had a few excellent chances in the first half that we should have taken. We have to start doing it because goals change the dynamic of the game.”

Evatt ruffled the feathers of Robins’ fans in the build-up to the Cheltenham game by highlighting their danger from long throws and set pieces.

His words were deemed down in Gloucestershire to be a slight on the team’s style of football but the Bolton boss does not feel he has been disrespectful.

“Maybe Carlisle will own up to what they are?” he said. “They should own it because they have been successful. This isn’t me being a football snob – you are what you are.

“They are second in the division, so they are having more success than us. And if you have those weapons, use them.

“It isn’t me feeling superior, it’s me telling you guys how I see the game will be played.

“I was right at Cheltenham and I’ll be right on Saturday. It will be physical, it will be tough, high intensity, they will put pressure on us because that is what they are and what they do.

“But we have to make sure when we get the ball we’re better with it and more clinical than we have been. We will create chances, we have done that in every game, but we haven’t always taken them.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum