Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Inconsistency' to blame for Wanderers' problematic left, admits Evatt

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A window will be left open for someone to claim Wanderers’ problematic left wing-back spot right up to the January window, says Ian Evatt.

The Bolton boss has used five different players in the position this season but could be forced to find another alternative next month in the transfer market.

Right-sided options Harry Brockbank and Gethin Jones have filled-in admirably but Jamie Mascoll, Reiss Greenidge and Liam Gordon have not yet done enough to command a regular start.

Evatt admits the left flank has become a problematic area in the past few months.

“It is down to inconsistency,” he said. “I have to know what I am going to get from my players and none of the players in that position have really taken it.

“I feel slightly sorry for Gethin and Harry because they are playing out of position. But with those two players I do know what I am going to get, I know the attack will slow down because we don’t have a natural left-sider there and I also know they are going to give me what I want defensively.

“Am I getting that from the others, no I am not.

“I have had conversations this week with the other left-sided players to say ‘come on, this position is still up for grabs’ and that they can show me they should be getting a start.”

Although Brockbank has some limitations on what he can do on the left, Evatt praised the academy graduate for the attitude he has shown since returning from injury.

“We have talked a lot about inconsistency but I know what I am getting from Harry Brockbank day-in, day-out, every Saturday,” he said.

“I trust him, and that is important. I know that when Harry Brockbank puts on a Bolton shirt that he will give 110 per cent. He loves playing for this football club – and that is what I all want them to be like. Are they all like that? No.”

Evatt has offered opportunities to the likes of Brockbank, Ronan Darcy, George Thomason and Regan Riley this season and wants to see more youngsters push their way into his first team in the future.

“Something I want to do moving forwards it to develop our own players, I think it will be important if this club is going to be sustainable,” he said. “They need a good opportunity and a pathway to perform.

“The North West is a hub of football and there are so many excellent young footballers out there. Yes, we might lose them to the bigger fish, but what we can offer them is a pathway to the first team, which is important.

“I met a 16-year-old kid on Saturday before the game that we are trying to sign. United and City also want him – but I’m trying to sell him the dream of playing for Bolton Wanderers and coming to play for our first team, and that is what young players want nowadays.

Elsewhere, Evatt is desperately searching for a striker after losing Shaun Miller for most of the season and seeing Arthur Gnahoua dislocate his shoulder in a recent defeat at Walsall.

The Bolton boss has also been up front with his front two, Nathan Delfouneso and Eoin Doyle, who despite sharing 14 goals between them so far were both under par in their last couple of outings.

“Those sort of conversations happen all the time,” said Evatt. “We need competition for the forward lads – Nathan and Eoin need to know that if we are not taking the chances we are creating, or they are not performing, then someone can come in and take their place.

“At the moment there is no other option. But there will be in a week or so.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum