Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton snap up Feyenoord's ex-Liverpool defender George Johnston

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton snap up Feyenoord's ex-Liverpool defender George Johnston 12672477

Wanderers have snapped up Feyenoord defender George Johnston on a three-year contract, subject to international clearance.

The former Liverpool Under-23s captain, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Wigan Athletic, had attracted offers from a handful of other League One clubs.

The left-sided centre-back impressed after returning to England last season, making 22 appearances and scoring once as he helped the Latics avoid relegation.

Manchester-born Johnston moved to Feyenoord in a £300,000 deal in 2019 and played a handful of games in the Dutch top flight at the start of last season.

He is a Scotland Under-21 international with eight caps and is looking forward to relaunching his career in League One with Ian Evatt’s promoted side.

“It feels great to have made the move,” Johnston said.

“Being part of a massive club who are on the rise was something I was desperate to be involved with.

”One of the reasons why I came here was to help the club get back to where it belongs.

“I’m looking forward to playing here at the University of Bolton Stadium especially with the fans coming back.”

Ian Evatt, who brought in Dapo Afolayan on a three-year deal last week, says his second signing of the summer is another big step forward.

“George is a player with a fantastic pedigree who came through the ranks at Liverpool before moving to Feyenoord two years ago,” the manager explained.

“That he was willing to move away and play abroad in a different league at such a young age says a lot about his character.

“He came back for the second-half of last season and had a very successful loan spell at Wigan Athletic.

“He’s a very talented player for the future and we are delighted to have signed him.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I never knew that a British player who was playing abroad needed international clearance to play in his own country. Seems weird.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:I never knew that a British player who was playing abroad needed international clearance to play in his own country. Seems weird.

His player registration is/was with the Dutch FA, they would need to check that all the loose ends are tied up and sorted before it is transferred to our FA.

Exactly the same process would take place if a Dutch player playing for an English club transferred to a Dutch club.

Indeed players moving between say England and Scotland need to do exactly the same.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/player-registration/international-clearance

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum