Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Super view from a footbridge shows lost Bolton skyline

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Super view from a footbridge shows lost Bolton skyline 12739955

Bolton’s skyline in 1957 as seen from the footbridge over the Bolton to Blackburn railway line near Church Wharf. The Parish Church and the Grand Theatre can be seen as well as some of the buildings in the foreground later demolished to make way for St Peter’s Way

Source

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Interesting photograph. I wonder why "Church Wharf" as there isn't a river nearby, unless it alludes to an underground canal.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bollotom2014 wrote:Interesting photograph. I wonder why "Church Wharf" as there isn't a river nearby, unless it alludes to an underground canal.

Before my time but I believe there was an actual canal there -

I found this brilliant link of old pictures of Bolton and this page is about Church Warf.

Two of the pictures from there are of the River Croal running at the side of the Market Hall and which I remember clearly - seen from both directions!

Super view from a footbridge shows lost Bolton skyline 4631124781_301x342

Super view from a footbridge shows lost Bolton skyline 4631124780_343x344

http://bolton.webeden.co.uk/cr5-to-church-wharf/4593510563

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Thanks for that, Sluffy. I knew about the Rivers Tonge and Croal but didn't realise there was a canal there. Though on reflection I think there was a blocked off section of a canal near Little Lever and I know there's some water link underneath Farnworth.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bollotom2014 wrote:Thanks for that, Sluffy. I knew about the Rivers Tonge and Croal but didn't realise there was a canal there. Though on reflection I think there was a blocked off section of a canal near Little Lever and I know there's some water link underneath Farnworth.

You are more than welcome mate.

Very Happy

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm sure i remember the river running by the market hall as a kid (so would be early to mid 70's) or have i dreamt that? I think i remember seeing it where the Market Place and the Debenhams is now.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:I'm sure i remember the river running by the market hall as a kid (so would be early to mid 70's) or have i dreamt that? I think i remember seeing it where the Market Place and the Debenhams is now.

Yes, that's exactly where that is, so you must have seen it.

AdmiralLaytons

David Ngog
David Ngog

karlypants wrote:

Super view from a footbridge shows lost Bolton skyline 12739955
seriale.best  twojfilm.online
Bolton’s skyline in 1957 as seen from the footbridge over the Bolton to Blackburn railway line near Church Wharf. The Parish Church and the Grand Theatre can be seen as well as some of the buildings in the foreground later demolished to make way for St Peter’s Way

It looks beautiful and phenomenal. Everything creates a mysterious atmosphere for me. I love these climates, I always feel special there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum