Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The 2 that got away

+9
WhiteBic
Copper Dragon
doffcocker
Keegan
Lofty_Love
Sluffy
karlypants
Reebok_Rebel
aaron_bwfc
13 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The 2 that got away Empty The 2 that got away Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:23

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Seems our old gaffer has lifted the lid on 2 near misses in the transfer market.

Zaha - “I know Wilfried Zaha is going to be some player, so I offered Palace £3million for him,” he said.

Palace wanted about £5m – and I think it would be in excess of that now because of how well he has progressed.

& Nick Powell - ''We also made a bid for Nick Powell at Crewe – we offered £500,000 and they wanted £1m or so. It didn’t get done and he’s gone on to Manchester United.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Zaha one is pretty frustrating but knowing we could have had Nick Powell for just and extra £500,000 is one that has really annoyed me as he must have been worth it if United had their eye on the lad.

Whether we would have got Powell when it came down to sitting down with the player, knowing United were interested in him is another thing but the fact we didn't bother meeting their £1million valutaion just shows how little desire we have on signing good young talent.

2The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:36

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It just shows how cheap arsed we (or coyle as the manager - who decided if we wanted said players or the valuation was correct) are.

just think IF we had specualted spending that extra few quid... Rolling Eyes

I like coyle as a person, but the ONE thing that always riled be about him was the fact he was a typical, cheapskate Scottish tight-wad...

our squad now shows that...

3The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:56

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:It just shows how cheap arsed we (or coyle as the manager - who decided if we wanted said players or the valuation was correct) are.

I like coyle as a person, but the ONE thing that always riled be about him was the fact he was a typical, cheapskate Scottish tight-wad...

Maybe Gartside wouldn't give Coyle any more money for the players than what was offered...

4The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:58

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:It just shows how cheap arsed we (or coyle as the manager - who decided if we wanted said players or the valuation was correct) are.

Maybe Gartside wouldn't give Coyle any more money for the players than what was offered...

Its common knowledge that Eddie Davies told Coyle that if he wanted money for the right players, he would make it available - coyle chose not to spend it.

5The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Mon Oct 15 2012, 17:54

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Well, stating the obvious, it doesn't matter who he 'might' have bought because the ones he 'did' buy - Sordell, Alonso, Ream, Wheater (he played Knight instead), Wylde (ok, he was on a free), etc - he didn't even bother to play them!

Clueless.

6The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Mon Oct 15 2012, 19:36

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok_Rebel wrote:It just shows how cheap arsed we

yep,thats how were in 110 million debt

7The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Wed Oct 17 2012, 19:28

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

We should sack Gartside and put his salary towards the debt. Just a thought, Big Phil - don't get mad at me.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

8The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Wed Oct 17 2012, 20:44

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

So Coyle spotted that Zaha was a good player? Bugger me, we've just sacked a fucking genius!

9The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Thu Oct 18 2012, 00:31

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Surely you all have got it by now, that he's a serial bullshitter.

He works the media a fucking treat and that's how he'll get his next job and how he'll get the fans of the club on board.

When he's interviewed have you noticed how he looks through the interviewer when he's talking?

That's a liars trademark.

10The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Thu Oct 18 2012, 11:05

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Lofty_Love wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:It just shows how cheap arsed we

yep,thats how were in 110 million debt

The debt is through miss management and poor investments over the past 10 years. Since Megson wasted 40mil we have been tight because the board don't want to make the same mistake again. Even if it is a calculated risk they seem unwilling to spend the cash. So unfortunately we found ourselves in a position where we couldn't afford to stay in the prem and couldn't afford to drop out of the prem.

11The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Thu Oct 18 2012, 11:48

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Quite correct WhiteBic. It's Hobson's choice.

12The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Thu Oct 18 2012, 12:39

Dinae Moe Humm

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

I think Big Sam said something similar, if he had the funds available he'd have signed Vidic and Evra before the Scum did. Speculative bollocks basically.

13The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Thu Oct 18 2012, 12:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

According to the media we missed out on shedloads, but you never really know how close we ever were.

14The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Thu Oct 18 2012, 14:05

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"palace wanted 5 million"

and yet the next day we offered a reported 6 million for Rhys whats his face from Boro.

15The 2 that got away Empty Re: The 2 that got away Thu Oct 18 2012, 16:06

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

To be fair he couldn't just be given whatever money he wanted, like Doffcocker said:

doffcocker wrote:So Coyle spotted that Zaha was a good player? Bugger me, we've just sacked a fucking genius!

Everyone knew that, even I knew that, not exactly deep scouting. I could quite easily find a list of 5 'young talents' but it doesn't mean we can be spending 5 mill on them all (as well as a high wage)

The trick is getting the right players to fit into the team at the right price for the club, not just paying silly amounts for young prospects who have massive values.

In fact at the time of the Zaha rumors most people one here were having a go at Coyle for trying to get more wingers with our limited money.

Teams have stayed up / got promoted with far fewer resources than we have had, I actually think our board has been very generous over the last 10 years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum