Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives verdict on Bolton's 2-1 win against Shrewsbury

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives verdict on Bolton's 2-1 win against Shrewsbury 13064999

Ian Evatt didn’t enjoy a moment of Wanderers’ 2-1 win against Shrewsbury Town – at least until the final whistle.

First-half goals from Antoni Sarcevic and Dapo Afolayan earned three points for Bolton to keep them in seventh place in League One but they had to batten down the hatches late in the game.

Ryan Bowman had a penalty saved by Joel Dixon and Luke Leahy curled in a late free kick, making for a tense finale.

Evatt – who singled out the performance of centre-backs Ricardo Santos and George Johnston for special praise – admitted his players looked off the pace at times after games at Sunderland and Charlton in the previous week.

“It was tough. I didn’t enjoy much of it,” he said. “I said to the players we looked jaded, tired, after two difficult journeys. Two games we put a lot into.

“it does have a knock-on effect when you are in at 5am and then straight up with the kids, you don’t get to recover and that is what it looked like today.

“But credit to them they were never out of the game because of the way they play, it’s physical, direct, hard to defend against. They will get opportunities because of that but I must say our two centre-backs were brilliant.

“The keeper makes a good penalty save and we score two great goals to win the game.

“First half it almost became too easy for us, we backed off, thought we had the game done. The stadium lost a bit of atmosphere and we’re a team that thrives on adrenaline, end-to-end, high tempo, so it became a bit pre-season.

“We were jaded in the second half but we saw it out. I don’t think they would have scored had it not been for a free kick, which was a bit controversial, to say the least.”

Although the second half performance failed to live up to the promise shown in the first, Evatt was pleased to see the determination with which his players defended their lead.

“There is no disappointment at all. Three points is three points regardless of how you get them.

“I want to be attacking, expansive, but results are what really matters. We weren’t at our best, we looked tired, but we found a way and good teams do that.

“I didn’t enjoy it because I know we can be better than that. We strive for perfection and you know that.

“They turned up for half time and got an absolute roasting but that is because I want the best for them.

“I have perspective and I know it won’t be the best all the time but unless I drive those standards, footballers will take a mile if you give them an inch. We need to keep on them and let them know what is expected.

“Work ethic and determination was there for all to see.”

Evatt set a target of two points per game for promotion and saw his side maintain that in September.

“I think so. We knew it was a really difficult month and that there was some testing fixtures in there,” he said. “If we were there or thereabouts on the back of this run, we’d be pleased.

“I think a win today makes a decent start into a good one but we have to build on that now.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum