Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives his thoughts after Rotherham United defeat

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives his thoughts after Rotherham United defeat 13343900

Ian Evatt praised his players in defeat against Rotherham United, insisting his team will get better in 2022.

Despite falling to a third successive defeat at the New York Stadium against the League One leaders, a severely depleted Bolton side was in the game to the bitter end.

Eoin Doyle cancelled out Michael Smith’s opening header, and the Millers striker then headed his side in front again midway through the second half.

But Wanderers nearly levelled the scores again, missing a couple of big chances at the end, and left their manager feeling contented with the performance.

“I am not going to say one negative about those boys, I know what they have been through, the condition they came back in,” he said.

“This is a tough place to be at the best of times when you have a fully fit team and squad. Against a team top of the league the difference on the day is taking chances again.

“It was a magnificent effort. Players played to the gameplan as best they could in the condition they were in.

“We are halfway through the season and it has obviously been hard work for the last two months but there is a lot to look forward to in the second half of the season.

“I can guarantee when we get these boys right and the bodies in the building that we are trying to do, I genuinely believe we can fly again and anything is possible when you get on a run.

“We have gone to Wycombe and come here in this spell and deserved something in both games.

“I must also say that the fans were absolutely brilliant. That is how you back and support your team, it lifted the players when they needed it in the second half when they were fatigued.

“It was always going to be tough in that last 20 minutes but we finished the stronger, so credit to the lads.”

Evatt added Dion Charles to his squad this morning and says he is close to a second signing who could feature against Hartlepool United in the Papa John’s Trophy on Tuesday night.

Asked if he anticipated more business quickly, he added.

“As quickly as we can because there are deals and negotiations to take place. I touched on it the other day that with all the Covid scenarios people are wanting to hold on to their players as long as possible because they don’t know what will happen.

“I expressed my disappointment at having to play this game but thankfully it looks as though we have come through unscathed.

“It was challenging and difficult but we did the best we could.”

Doyle has been strongly linked with a move back home to Ireland and has also attracted the attention of a couple of League Two clubs looking to take him on a short-term deal.

“At the moment he is still a Bolton player and he got us a goal, had one or two other chances. He is one who has suffered with Covid and he’s 34 years old, nearly 35, so we have to look after him,” Evatt said.

“As it stands he is a Bolton player.”

Source

Last edited by karlypants on Sun Jan 02 2022, 11:38; edited 1 time in total

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum