Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'I wanted to pay my respects' - Dapo reveals touching tribute to little Isla

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'I wanted to pay my respects' - Dapo reveals touching tribute to little Isla 13424472

Dapo Afolayan dedicated his goal in Wanderers’ 6-0 win against Sunderland to the memory of young West Ham fan Isla Caton, who passed away this week.

The Wanderers winger grabbed the second goal of the day at the UniBol, revealing a specially printed shirt in his celebration with The Bolton News’ cameras.

Seven-year-old Isla had battled cancer for much of her childhood and West Ham’s squad had helped fundraise more than £80,000 to create ‘special memories’ for her in her final months.

Speaking after the game, ex-Hammer Afolayan passed on his sympathies to the family.

“I dedicated the goal to a little girl called Isla Caton, who sadly passed away this week,” he said.

“She was a big West Ham fan, as are her family, and she had neuroblastoma, fought really hard. It is really sad.

“Her mother, Nicki, and everyone is feeling the loss hard.”

Little Isla had been given only weeks to live in December but she remained mobile and fought the illness well into the New Year before passing away in the early hours on Tuesday, January 25.

Condolences have poured in from all over the country, including the West Ham squad, and Afolayan was only too happy to pay his own tribute.

“I knew Isla through the club and I had spoken to Nicki before when I scored for West Ham, she reached out, and when I left the club she wished me all the best,” he said.

“Again, I think the family are top drawer and what they were going through, I wouldn’t wish on anybody.

“My prayers are with the family because it is tough for them. I wanted to take a moment today to pay my respects to their little girl.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum