Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is going to be our regular starting eleven now the window is shut?

+2
wanderlust
Sluffy
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

We've brought in seven - Charles, Dadi, Fossey, Trafford, Sadlier, Dempsey and Morley - and kept Amaechi for the second half of the season too - and we've not done all this if we didn't expect quite a few of them to become first team starters.

Ok we've lost a few but more have arrived than departed so how will all this work out in respect of team selections? ​

I think we can take it as a given that Trafford is the keeper, Jones, Santos and Johnston are the back three and Fossey and John the wing backs.

Surely MJ will be the defensive midfielder too and Charles the striker so we've already pencilled in eight of the eleven on the team sheet and we've still got the likes of Dempsey, Morley, Lee, Afolayan and goal scorer Bakayoko for just the three places remaining.

That's not even taking into consideration the likes of Dadi, Sadlier, Amaechi who we've brought in and Thomason and Kachunga who were here before the transfer window.

I assume Dempsey is going to be a starter after all the bother of signing him for a £150k fee, so is it then Lee or Morley for one slot and Afolayan or Baka for the other - depending on what system we decide to play on the day?

What do you reckon, what's your regular starting eleven with all these options we have now?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With a fixture congestion looming we can expect some rotation and although we've done really well in the last 4 games with only a couple of changes e.g. resting Lee last night I think this group will be the core.
Sadlier is quality but will have to work for a place and Dempsey likewise but I'm struggling to see how Bodvarsson will break in on a regular basis.
For me it will come down to Evatt's rotation and they'll all get a turn sooner or later but I think the starting line up v Sunderland will be his go to team with no more than a couple of players switching out each game.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Its nice to have such problems isn't it?  Very Happy

Morley has been great since he came in so can see him being a regular. Lee and Dapo will be interesting as they both play the no10 role but Lee can't play every game these days. The option is to play Dapo as a striker and Lee as no10 which we have done already and worked well.

The rest are going to be on the bench for now, Evatt may tinker and rest players this month as we have so many games but it's great to have so many options now.

My best 11 would be

Trafford

Jones, Rico, Johnston

Fossey MJ Morley Decberto

Lee

Dapo Charles

Norpig wrote:

Trafford

Jones, Rico, Johnston

Fossey MJ Morley Decberto

Lee

Dapo Charles

Nailed it for me, guess Dempsey will rotate in for Lee to give him some rest. Very well stocked for our promo push either way!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

You three don't think Dempsey will be a regular starter???

There will be a small degree of rotation obviously due to injury, suspension and in Lee's case game management but Evatt won't chop and change his midfield much if he can avoid it and he's not signed his number one transfer target this window to simply sit on the bench has he?

I'm not exactly sure what Dempsey's position is but as I've read things he seems to be the replacement for Sarcevic' s role?

I wonder if the thinking is that Lee won't last the season without the occasional rest periods and when he plays Afolayan will be used as a super sub?

That's how I reckon it will all pan out.

Afolayan's one of the form players in the division, can't see him being relegated to super sub.

Dempsey will start on the bench and need to win his place in the team, it will be him or Lee but not both - is my prediction.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Afolayan's one of the form players in the division, can't see him being relegated to super sub.

Dempsey will start on the bench and need to win his place in the team, it will be him or Lee but not both - is my prediction.

He's already been used as a super sub twice recently.

I'm not suggesting he will be a regular on the bench but I reckon he will fill the super sub role a few more times this season before it is through.

Seems fair to stay with the team as it has been more or less since this four game streak started so I can imagine Dempsey will likely start on the bench but I reckon he will soon be a regular starter or why bother tracking him all through the window and paying 'big' money for him (plus whatever we are paying him in wages)?

The plan obviously is for him to be a starter and I guess Lee is the weak link in so far as his age and past injury record.

I'm a big fan of Lee mind you, so I can't think Lee will be dropped as such, maybe an injury or suspension to others throughout the rest of the season will determine how all the players end up fitting into the team?

Sluffy wrote:

He's already been used as a super sub twice recently.

Because he was out of form and we tried a new formation without wingers. If he stays fit and maintains his form he's one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

No way is Dapo going to be a bit player. He’s the one the club are banking on to bring in the cash in the summer. Like it or not, that’s the plan, so bringing in the younger players like Morley, Dempsey and Charles are others that Evatt’s hoping he can turn a coin on in the future. As for Lee, he’s an integral part of the team and even at 33 is better than any of the signings but clearly his age and fitness will cost him minutes so the others will step up. 

I personally thought Dempsey was more a competitor for MJ rather than a Sarce type but I may be wrong and we’ll have to wait and see. I think the big loser will be Baka because the striking role next to Charles going forward will be between Dapo and Bod. As for Ameche, I’m not sure where he will fit in as Fossey is doing so well in front of Jones and the same goes for Sadlier. They can’t all play obviously but I’m sure they’ll all get some time in before the end of the season. It does mean though that to get in they have to impress in training, then to stay in, impress in games as well. Interesting times ahead.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a fairly flexible system that Evatt can tweak depending on the opposition/state of the game so Dapo has played both as a second striker and as a 10 slightly deeper. Yes he'll feature - one of the reasons I'm struggling to see where Bodvarsson fits in - but I won't be getting too hung up about a "regular starting eleven".

It's a squad game and Evatt will use them all where and when he sees fit.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:It's a fairly flexible system that Evatt can tweak depending on the opposition/state of the game so Dapo has played both as a second striker and as a 10 slightly deeper. Yes he'll feature - one of the reasons I'm struggling to see where Bodvarsson fits in - but I won't be getting too hung up about a "regular starting eleven".

It's a squad game and Evatt will use them all where and when he sees fit.

Considering that no one has yet had any call to question my opening statement that EIGHT of the ELEVEN places are almost certainly going to be the same names from now until the end of the season (injury's/Covid and suspensions apart) then I would say we DO already have a 'mostly' regular starting eleven and only trying to fit in probably Lee, Afolayan, Morley, Dempsey and perhaps Dadi or Bakayoko into the remaining THREE places (and even then my view is Dempsey will soon claim one of those places for himself!).

As for being a 'squad game' that won't apply to us if EIGHT or NINE places are always filled with the same names - all it means is that the rest of the 'squad' will fill out the bench and rotate with the starting forwards/attacking midfielders as substitutes coming on to replace them later on in the game.

You can already see that Dadi and Sadlier have already been pencilled in for those roles - rather than being automatic starters and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if from time to time that Afolayan is kept back on the bench in order to be deliberately used as an impact sub in specific games.

That's not to say he's going to be dropped or a bit player (I've never claimed that and haven't the foggiest why some seem to believe I have???) but it is clear that Evatt likes to wear the other team down and throw on fresh legs to attack them in the last quarter of the match.

Anyway we'll see who is nearer the truth of the matter as the season progresses.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I do agree that the nucleus of the side, bar injuries/suspensions, is likely to stay the same. In defence for example, we have few options and so chances for Baps, Gordon and Aimson are likely to be limited and unless Trafford cocks up you can’t see Dixon getting back in. Midfield is obviously the biggest switch area because we know that Lee won’t play every game. The way Morley has settled in it’s difficult to see him being moved and we still don’t have anybody else like MJ, as we found when he was out, although I still maintain Dempsey could fill the battler role. I’m sure Evatt will struggle to keep everyone happy but that’s what he gets paid for so we’ll see how good he is at it over the rest of the season.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Now wondering if/how Amaechi will be used.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think the reason Dapo's form dipped was down to him being marked out of the game, teams sussed us out and regularly had 2 men marking him out of the game, now though teams have to worry about Charles, Dapo, and Fossey, leaving Dapo to play his natural game.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

MartinBWFC wrote:I think the reason Dapo's form dipped was down to him being marked out of the game, teams sussed us out and regularly had 2 men marking him out of the game, now though teams have to worry about Charles, Dapo, and Fossey, leaving Dapo to play his natural game.

I agree Martin but I think it was also because some of the players weren’t complimenting his work. John seemed to have gone off the boil and frankly Doyle just seemed to be going through the motions. What happened with him and Sarce to make them leave obviously destabilised the team, not to mention the injuries but the new signings you mention have clearly sparked him up again and he now looks better than ever. He seems to pass more on the basis that he trusts the other players more than he did rather than try and do it all himself. He now looks a top player and if he keeps it up won’t be here long in the summer, unless of course we’re promoted which may prompt him to stay here a while longer?

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Selection dilemma city. 

I think Amaechi, despite his obvious talent, just isn't anything other than a luxury player for us. He would work well in a team of work horses where he was the creative spark. But as we are, we don't need him... 

I think Dixon is no worse than Trafford and Trafford came in just at the right time to get 3 clean sheets. I think Dixon would have had them too. And Dixons kicking is way better. 

I think Lee has been in very good recent form and Morley has claimed his spot too. Dempsey should be nudging one of them out but really all 3 could rotate. 

On the right Fossey is great at the moment but has a ready replacement in Isgrove as cover (when is he back?) and on the left Decberto has Gordon as good cover. Gordon would work very well in this system. 

Baka and Dadi are going to be the least used and find it hard to break into the team. And really, when on form we can't leave Dapo out. Or can we? 

Main worry for us is if we get a couple of key injuries, like if Jones or Santos went out of action. Or if Dapo was out for too long. 

Oh and Celine, well he has performed well over par so far. Great effort from him. 

Starting 11

Dixon
Indianna Santos Johnston 
Fossey.................... Decberto
MessiJesus  Dempsey Morley
DapoDapo
Celine

A strong bench of:
Sadlier
Lee
Baka
Dadi
Aimson
Amaechi 
Trafford 

Oh and then there are
Chunga
Isgrove
Gordon
Thomason 
Baptiste 

Wow. 
We have too many players!

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:Selection dilemma city. 

I think Amaechi, despite his obvious talent, just isn't anything other than a luxury player for us. He would work well in a team of work horses where he was the creative spark. But as we are, we don't need him... 

I think Dixon is no worse than Trafford and Trafford came in just at the right time to get 3 clean sheets. I think Dixon would have had them too. And Dixons kicking is way better. 

I think Lee has been in very good recent form and Morley has claimed his spot too. Dempsey should be nudging one of them out but really all 3 could rotate. 

On the right Fossey is great at the moment but has a ready replacement in Isgrove as cover (when is he back?) and on the left Decberto has Gordon as good cover. Gordon would work very well in this system. 

Baka and Dadi are going to be the least used and find it hard to break into the team. And really, when on form we can't leave Dapo out. Or can we? 

Main worry for us is if we get a couple of key injuries, like if Jones or Santos went out of action. Or if Dapo was out for too long. 

Oh and Celine, well he has performed well over par so far. Great effort from him. 

Starting 11

Dixon
Indianna Santos Johnston 
Fossey.................... Decberto
MessiJesus  Dempsey Morley
DapoDapo
Celine

A strong bench of:
Sadlier
Lee
Baka
Dadi
Aimson
Amaechi 
Trafford 

Oh and then there are
Chunga
Isgrove
Gordon
Thomason 
Baptiste 

Wow. 
We have too many players!
Agree with your comments apart from the goalkeeping position being Trafford's to lose ATM  but what a great problem to have.
There will have to be some rotation but if something isn't working out we'll have a strong bench from which to make changes.
Whether the starting eleven is chosen on the basis of the opposition, on the need to rest certain players or due to injuries/suspensions I  think any of the above would do a job but there are vulnerable areas. Losing Santos might be difficult to overcome and if we lose Charles I'm not confident another combo would be as effective but elsewhere I think we'd be fine.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I agree that Santos and Dion would be the two most difficult to replace although I think Dapo is fitting in well in a more central role up front and I’m not sure even Sadlier couldn’t also fit in there if needed. We haven’t seen what Bod can do yet so it’s a bit early to right him off and at the back we have Mr Reliable Baps in an emergency, though Rico, despite his errors would be hard to replace. The rest of the team I think we’re well covered so looking pretty good really.

Really like Santos, taking risks in possession and always trying to dominate the opposition striker - and more often than not doing so is great to watch.

I do wonder if league 1 is his ceiling though and he wouldn’t be able to play his way in the Championship - a question which works in our favour of holding onto him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum