Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC

+5
Norpig
Sluffy
Cajunboy
terenceanne
wanderlust
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Sun 13 Feb - 2:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tuesday night at the Pirelli Stadium and it will be all hands to the pumps as we take on Burton Albion in the hope of closing the gap on the teams above us and putting a bit more pressure on the Portsmouth side that are on our heels with a game in hand.

Burton sit just 5 points and 3 places behind us and have struggled against teams above them, yet put away the teams below them no problem - apart from Cambridge today which ended 2 all  - so it's no surprise they're mid table.

Since signing up Gassam Adahme from Norwich, they've tweaked their system to a slightly more adventurous 4312 (from 4321) to facilitate the young Moroccan striker who is pacy, skilful but delivering not too much end product as yet.

They have decent players throughout the team and are tidy defensively but again I think this is all about us - if we play to our ability and Evatt doesn't tweak the team too much, we should have enough to take the points.

We need this and I think we'll scrape it 1 - 2.

COYWM!

Update:

Just been looking at the Pirelli pitch and it's a bog with rough patches all over the place - not really condusive to free flowing football. Add to that the fact that Burton have been fielding 6 out-and-out defenders in recent games, and we can expect a war of attrition on Tuesday night. Hopefully Evatt will pick a team better suited for trench warfare Smile

Last edited by wanderlust on Sun 13 Feb - 12:03; edited 1 time in total

2Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Sun 13 Feb - 12:00

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

As with all our remaining games it's another must win. We can't get out of 10th but will close the gap. Obviously, we will have a slip up somewhere. I expect a couple of team changes, hopefully we should have enough to get the job done.

3Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Sun 13 Feb - 12:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:As with all our remaining games it's another must win. We can't get out of 10th but will close the gap. Obviously, we will have a slip up somewhere. I expect a couple of team changes, hopefully we should have enough to get the job done.
We should win this but the pitch is a bit of a leveller. Potential banana skin.

4Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Sun 13 Feb - 16:08

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:
We should win this but the pitch is a bit of a leveller. Potential banana skin.
Conditions so bad that I fear Trench Foot  could be a future problem.

5Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Mon 14 Feb - 12:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
Conditions so bad that I fear Trench Foot  could be a future problem.
Weather forecast in Burton is for biblical rain in the morning which should stop before the game - should be the perfect "calm before the storm" which is likely to arrive in Bolton just in time for our game against Wimbledon on Saturday Sad

6Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Mon 14 Feb - 21:50

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

7Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Tue 15 Feb - 8:14

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We need to tighten up after the last game but no reason why we can't continue this great run, i'm going 2-1 to the Super Whites.

8Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Tue 15 Feb - 9:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:We need to tighten up after the last game but no reason why we can't continue this great run, i'm going 2-1 to the Super Whites.
I'm just hoping we don't make it difficult for ourselves by conceding first.

9Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Tue 15 Feb - 9:59

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Could be off this one tonight given the weather forecast and the state of their pitch but I hope not because we need to keep the momentum going. Big test for the lads tonight but since they seem more on defending it could be a good night for us with our new scoring boots on. They rely on set pieces so I think we need both Bod and Baka back for them tonight so Charles may be rested. I’d also consider Sadlier for Marlon given conditions but that would be a big call for IE. Either way I’m going 0-2 to the Whites.

10Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Tue 15 Feb - 13:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:Could be off this one tonight given the weather forecast and the state of their pitch but I hope not because we need to keep the momentum going. Big test for the lads tonight but since they seem more on defending it could be a good night for us with our new scoring boots on. They rely on set pieces so I think we need both Bod and Baka back for them tonight so Charles may be rested. I’d also consider Sadlier for Marlon given conditions but that would be a big call for IE. Either way I’m going 0-2 to the Whites.
Just looked at the updated weather forecast in Burton and the weather front is running a bit late so there's a chance it will rain during the game but not so much before so it could be just about playable.

That said, I read this on a fans forum:

"Having not seen a home game for 2 years until the Sheff Wed game 10 days ago, I was shocked by the state of the pitch. It may not yet quite rival the old Baseball Ground, but it is no surface to play on. I used to be surprised how well the pitch used to stand up to the rigours of the season. Even at this time of the year there would be a good covering of grass and drainage didn't seem to be a problem. What has gone wrong I don't know, but something clearly has. Is it just down to additional games being played on it, or has the high standard of maintenance that lead to the pitch regularly winning awards slipped in recent seasons?

One thing is clear, a sodden pudding of largely grassless sandy mud is no encouragement to decent football, nor will it assist in building much needed new support. Still as they always say, it's the same for both teams. Let's hope Albion, being used to it, adapt better tonight. We'll see!"

11Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Tue 15 Feb - 13:28

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

12Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Tue 15 Feb - 18:49

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

13Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Tue 15 Feb - 21:58

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I suppose we have to write this one off........ our inability to clear the ball from our penalty area cost us tonight......otherwise they were never in the game ---- that's the banana skin stepped on.
One thing of note going forward is our goal difference..... it's the worst of any top ten and shipping three more tonight didn't help.  Plymouth 6th and Oxford 7th are separated by one goal for example. 
Needless to say, we can't afford anymore slipups. Onwards !!!

14Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Tue 15 Feb - 22:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

15Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Wed 16 Feb - 1:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

16Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Wed 16 Feb - 8:04

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Terrible start to the game and it was effectively over after 17 minutes. They won every battle and second ball and we couldn't cope with their physicality. 

We played better second half but the likes of Dempsey, Sadlier and Bodvarrson didn't take their chance after getting a start. Back to Morley. Dapo and Celine for Saturday hopefully.

17Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Wed 16 Feb - 8:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Terrible start to the game and it was effectively over after 17 minutes. They won every battle and second ball and we couldn't cope with their physicality. 

We played better second half but the likes of Dempsey, Sadlier and Bodvarrson didn't take their chance after getting a start. Back to Morley. Dapo and Celine for Saturday hopefully.
The Wombles will be rubbing their hands watching that.

18Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Wed 16 Feb - 15:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Terrible start to the game and it was effectively over after 17 minutes. They won every battle and second ball and we couldn't cope with their physicality. 

Thought Dempsey, Sadlier and Bodvarsson were the best of a bad bunch TBH and Dapo was dire when he came on.
The problem was defending the throws and corners - so if anyone needs replacing it's the defence - including Santos.

I guess if we're not able to press them back at the top of the pitch when playing in poor conditions, them inevitably there'll be more pressure on the defence - and Burton didn't have to worry about a bobbly wet pitch because they just launched it into the box - the ball hardly touched the ground.

19Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Empty Re: Burton Albion 3-1 BWFC Wed 16 Feb - 21:29

Bolton Nuts

Admin

The problem was, we missed Jones.
Aimson does ok as backup but we don't distribute as well without Jones.

Secondly, our delivery on crosses from corners, free kicks and open play is poor. Why can't Pro footballers get the ball above chest height when crossing?

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum