Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MJ Williams targets where Bolton must improve to reach the top six

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MJ Williams targets where Bolton must improve to reach the top six 13571357

MJ Williams believes Wanderers have got to be more clinical in front of goal if they are to take the ‘next step’ in League One.

After missing some big chances in their last two games against Morecambe and Plymouth, Bolton have drifted 10 points off the top six and now look destined to spend another season at this level.

Williams believes the attacking options in Ian Evatt’s squad have enough pedigree to maintain a promotion push, even if that comes next season.

“I think the strikers here have shown they are quality – Dion, Dapo, Baka, Jon – and we see them putting those chances away regularly,” he said.

“For whatever reason it didn’t happen today but we have to back them and give them confidence.

“If we want to be top six then we have to be beating this type of team. When we went to Sunderland or Sheffield Wednesday, I thought we created that many chances on those days but it is about putting the ball in the back of the net.

“The lads have done it this season but sometimes it doesn’t happen and on those occasions you have to try and keep that back door closed, as defenders.

“On Tuesday we gave them something to hang on to. We get the first goal we win three or four to nil. And again, if we get that today then I think we go on to win.”

Wanderers have won every game in which they have taken the lead this season – and Williams admits nerves did play their part when the game was at a stalemate against Plymouth.

“We have to take our chances when we get them. Against teams who are up there we need to be more clinical,” he said.

“We needed that goal and if we had got it earlier we would have won the game, I think.

“It is harder when the goals are not going in. You always think you’ll get chances and if you are winning a game it is a different story.

“We need to be more clinical, maybe a bit more confident as well. Sometimes when the goals are not going in that can dip but we have some great strikers here and we’ve had some good days – 6-0 against Sunderland, 3-0 at Gillingham – and we should have scored more.

“We have to keep working hard to turn those chances into goals.”

Wanderers are unlikely to catch the top six with eight games remaining but Williams feels the team still has an aim in sight between now and May.

“It is a tall order (to reach the play-offs) but we need to concentrate on ourselves and get as many points on the board as possible now, keep building as a team,” he said.

“Every day we work on being a better side and it should show on the pitch as well.

“The target for us is to keep putting the points on the board, finish strong, whether that is for the play-offs or for next season. We have shown since January what a good team we are and obviously we had that blip before Christmas where we had all the injuries and Covid – it set us back – but I think the second half of the season has been brilliant. We will keep working hard to put ourselves into the right place.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum