Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Homes for Ukraine scheme

+5
Norpig
Whitesince63
karlypants
Copper Dragon
wanderlust
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Homes for Ukraine scheme Thu Mar 24 2022, 13:43

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Me and the missus are one of the >150k British households that have registered with this scheme to house refugees.
We registered. We waited. We contacted the Council - they knew nothing. We asked who was the officer responsible for checking out the homes of those offering accommodation - they didn't know.
We joined an online group - everyone else is in the same boat so to speak.
We asked a charity group what refugees have to do to apply to come here - the government hasn't provided any info.
The government made an announcement that anyone arriving without the correct documentation could go to prison. They didn't tell anyone what documentation is required.
The government made another announcement to the effect that hooking up refugees with folk offering accommodation would be in "phase 2". They could not say when phase 2 would start.
Currently, it is impossible to contact refugees directly, and even if that were possible, you can't advise them what they need to do or arrange for your house to be vetted.

Basically they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Anyone have any useful info on how to find a refugee to support?

2Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Thu Mar 24 2022, 21:52

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Could try here https://www.ukrainebridesagency.com/

(apologies)

3Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Thu Mar 24 2022, 22:12

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:Could try here https://www.ukrainebridesagency.com/

(apologies)
Welcome back Copper Very Happy

4Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Thu Mar 24 2022, 22:47

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:
Welcome back Copper Very Happy

Thanks Karlypants.

Although on this serious thread about a serious issue, I've given myself a warning and promised myself that it'll never happen again.

5Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Thu Mar 24 2022, 23:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:Could try here https://www.ukrainebridesagency.com/

(apologies)
OK - I've picked Olga and she reckons she can get here in a matter of days as she knows a lot of truck drivers apparently.
Question is how does she get into the country?

Apparently as of 10pm tonight, the "Homes for Ukraine" programme hasn't issued a single visa to Ukranians who don't already have relatives here.

6Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 08:30

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Lusty, you have my deepest admiration mate for applying for that, as do all the others like you but then I suppose when you live in a mansion with spare rooms, you won’t miss one will you? 🤗😀

Seriously, well done,I’m afraid it’s not possible for us as we don’t have room now we’ve downsized but I’m not sure even if we did I could be that generous. Good luck to you and I hope it turns out well for you and your guest. 👍

7Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 08:30

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is disgraceful, the government are being deliberately obstructive and it's obvious they don't want any refugees. 

The excuse about wanting to check who's coming in is just laughable as it's women and children who want to come, the men are all staying and fighting! The story yesterday about rejecting a 4 year old from coming with his Mum because his passport had just expired is just appalling, do we have no compassion?

8Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 09:09

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Norpig wrote:This is disgraceful, the government are being deliberately obstructive and it's obvious they don't want any refugees. 

The excuse about wanting to check who's coming in is just laughable as it's women and children who want to come, the men are all staying and fighting! The story yesterday about rejecting a 4 year old from coming with his Mum because his passport had just expired is just appalling, do we have no compassion?
:clap:

9Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 09:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:This is disgraceful, the government are being deliberately obstructive and it's obvious they don't want any refugees. 

If the government was serious about humanitarian aid - let them in and check them when they're here. Or send the Immigration Service to the Ukraine border, check them there and provide coaches to get them here safely without the risk of child trafficking etc.

It came out on Question Time last night that a pregnant woman was refused because she didn't have a visa for her unborn child.

At the moment, if a refugee manages to cross Europe on their own and has managed to escape with their passport and ID and manages to get a visa - they still can't get in unless they get access to the internet and advertise themselves on social media.

And yet the Tories are crowing in Parliament about the "humanitarian schemes" they have set up.

They disgust me.

10Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 13:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:Me and the missus are one of the >150k British households that have registered with this scheme to house refugees.
We registered. We waited. We contacted the Council - they knew nothing. We asked who was the officer responsible for checking out the homes of those offering accommodation - they didn't know.
We joined an online group - everyone else is in the same boat so to speak.
We asked a charity group what refugees have to do to apply to come here - the government hasn't provided any info.
The government made an announcement that anyone arriving without the correct documentation could go to prison. They didn't tell anyone what documentation is required.
The government made another announcement to the effect that hooking up refugees with folk offering accommodation would be in "phase 2". They could not say when phase 2 would start.
Currently, it is impossible to contact refugees directly, and even if that were possible, you can't advise them what they need to do or arrange for your house to be vetted.

Basically they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Anyone have any useful info on how to find a refugee to support?

Fair play to you offering to help.

However from reading this it seems you need to progress your help by contacting the relevant charities who presumably would know all that would be required to move forward with this, rather than using this worthy and well meaning initiative to slag off the government as per usual...

Do you have to know the refugee you want to host?

In the "first phase" of the scheme, people will need the name of a Ukrainian individual or family they wish to sponsor.

The government advises them to "get in contact with them directly and prepare to fill in a visa application with all their details and yours".

The process started on 18 March via the visa application form on the government website.

Refugees with a valid Ukrainian international passport can apply online, but those without one will have to go to a Visa Application Centre. These are operating in European countries, including those bordering Ukraine such as Poland.

Those who don't personally know anyone fleeing Ukraine, can register their interest on the government's website.

They are also advised to get in touch with charities, faith groups or local community organisations who are starting to make connections between individuals.

Charities which work in this area include:

Refugees at Home, a charity connecting refugees and hosts online
https://www.refugeesathome.org/
Room for Refugees, which has previously settled unaccompanied child refugees with families in the UK
https://www.roomforrefugees.com/
Shelter 4 Ukraine, a Ukrainian-run service which registers hosts and refugees
https://www.shelter4ua.com/ua
Reset, which has run a community sponsorship scheme for refugees since 2018
https://resetuk.org/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60735121

11Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 13:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Again that advise is repeated here -

How will Ukrainians be matched with a British family?
The government will not be matching British hosts with Ukrainians. Those who are approved as hosts will need to identify the Ukrainians they intend to host and then they will make a visa application naming their intended hosts.

However, in practice, many of those who are offering to host Ukrainians simply will not know anyone directly that might wish to come here.

There are a number of charities who are asking people to register their interest with them and who can undertake some of the matching process. They include:

Sanctuary Foundation – which is running online information events for hosts
Refugees at Home, a charity that has experience connecting refugees and hosts online
Room for Refugees, which has previously settled unaccompanied child refugees
Reset, which also has a sponsorship scheme for refugees from other conflicts
World Jewish Relief, which runs a number of projects in Ukraine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/15/homes-for-ukraine-what-do-i-need-to-do-to-host-refugees-in-the-uk

Also mentions about local authority hosing implications -

What are the legal hurdles to hosting a family?
It’s likely that councils will treat the offer of homes to refugees with compassion rather than enforcement actions but in normal circumstances there are restrictions on how people can offer homes and to how many people.

Christian Fox at Becket Chambers, who said he would offer free legal advice to those seeking to house Ukrainian refugees, said that offering anything other than a room in the main home – such as an annex above a garage or a cabin or a separate flat – could create a legal “tenancy”.

“If the owner of a second home or investment property were to allow several families to stay in a property, it may give rise to the need to register as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) under the Housing Act 2004,” he said.

“While we might hope that local authorities would be sympathetic, unless the government scheme allows exemption, then at the very least licensing will need to be investigated with the local council and their views sought.”

Fox said there were fewer legal complications for people offering a room but said it could still affect property insurance or risk breaching mortgage or lease terms, which hosts would need to clarify with their lender or landlord.

12Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 13:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We registered on the first day.
Neither the charities or local authorities have been given any information on how to make the connections.

This scheme is so badly organised that you'd think they'd done it deliberately so that no refugees are admitted.

Merely repeating the government's spiel about what is supposed to happen doesn't address the very real issues that host families and refugees are facing - which is the point I was making in the first place.

13Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 13:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:We registered on the first day.
Neither the charities or local authorities have been given any information on how to make the connections.

This scheme is so badly organised that you'd think they'd done it deliberately so that no refugees are admitted.

Merely repeating the government's spiel about what is supposed to happen doesn't address the very real issues that host families and refugees are facing - which is the point I was making in the first place.

I doubt that is true, particularly in respect of the charities.

Reset for instance has been running such schemes for refugees from other conflicts for a number of years before now and Shelter 4 Ukraine, is Ukrainian (you need to use a translator to read their website!) so clearly they can supply the names and details of the refugees they are dealing with.

The reason I repeated the government 'spiel' as you put it, was to flag up that you need to make progress through the charities who DO have connections with refugees - which you clearly haven't done.

If you are genuine about your help, as opposed to simply virtue signalling, then I suggest you make such efforts as they will be more knowledgeable about what you and others need to know in order to accommodate refugees in need.

Also if your local council doesn't appear to know much about the process that they may be required to be involved in (vetting of host/accommodation, etc perhaps?)  then I suggest you contact your local councillor and/or MP to expedite such things.

I would imagine though central government directives have been sent out to all councils by now anyway.

14Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 16:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It is true. The scheme for refugees with relatives here is OK - as of yesterday 38k had applied and a few thou have been given visas.
Those without relatives already here have to try to find a host - and I spoke to the Council and a leading charity yesterday and they have no idea how that system is supposed to work or how the refugees will get in.

15Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 16:17

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

YES, I saw that on the local news too.

The mother's aunt who lives in the Manchester area is at her wit's end trying to get them to the the UK where she has a home waiting for them.

It makes my blood boil !!!!

16Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 16:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:It is true. The scheme for refugees with relatives here is OK - as of yesterday 38k had applied and a few thou have been given visas.
Those without relatives already here have to try to find a host - and I spoke to the Council and a leading charity yesterday and they have no idea how that system is supposed to work or how the refugees will get in.

If you say so.

I suggest then you speak with the other charities particularly those specifically listed.

Or do you prefer just to sit back and slag off the government as per usual?

17Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 17:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

If you say so.

I suggest then you speak with the other charities particularly those specifically listed.

The government deserve to be slagged off - or didn't that cross your mind?

They are a shit government who were elected on lies, have failed to deliver what they promised, have shafted the people they convinced to vote for them and flip flop on decisions depending on public reaction as they blunder from one deceit, cock up or poor decision to the next.

Why do you have a problem with slagging off them off?

Or is your problem simply that it's me slagging them off?

Either way, they are destroying my country and as such I reserve the right to slag them off as I see fit.

18Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 19:03

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Most of the news outlets are slagging the Tories off too, even the ones that are traditionally blue. Sunak has come in for lots of criticism today.

19Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Fri Mar 25 2022, 21:38

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:If you say so.

The government deserve to be slagged off - or didn't that cross your mind?

They are a shit government who were elected on lies, have failed to deliver what they promised, have shafted the people they convinced to vote for them and flip flop on decisions depending on public reaction as they blunder from one deceit, cock up or poor decision to the next.

Why do you have a problem with slagging off them off?

Or is your problem simply that it's me slagging them off?

Either way, they are destroying my country and as such I reserve the right to slag them off as I see fit.

I couldn't give a toss about you or anyone else slagging them off.

The issue is you are completely obsessed about them and slag them off for everything whether they deserve it or not!

There's plenty on here who aren't great supporters of the Tory party or this government - and that includes me - but there's only you amongst us who condemn them for absolutely everything each and every day - often several times a day!

That's not slagging them off behaviour, that's obsessive hatred behaviour.

It's tantamount to finding your wife in bed with another bloke thirty odd years ago and you've hate and loathed her for it each and every day since type of behaviour!

It's unhealthy, it's consumed you for years and you need to let it go and move on with your life.

Clearly though you don't wish to do that and prefer to wallow in your hatred, bile and bitterness instead.

20Homes for Ukraine scheme Empty Re: Homes for Ukraine scheme Sun Mar 27 2022, 19:32

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Rooms for Refugees, the UK's longest running refugee accommodation charity calls the Government's scheme "a gimmick".

“The government made a fanfare of its Homes for Ukraine community sponsorship programme. Michael Gove told parliament on 14 March that there was no limit on the numbers coming in. Yet none of the families we are supporting have yet got a visa to travel under the community sponsorship scheme and are still waiting.”
Those in Ukraine have already criticised the scheme, saying the claims made by ministers do not match the reality in the country."

More worrying for people wanting to help is a comment from a British guy helping in Ukraine (second link) who says "Ukrainians were “very grateful” for all the military equipment supplied by Britain to help fend off Russian forces. But he added: “They’re under no illusion that the UK has made it artificially difficult to seek sanctuary there,” calling the scheme a “disgrace”

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum