Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Evatt pleased to finish season on a high against Fleetwood

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Evatt pleased to finish season on a high against Fleetwood 13731927

Ian Evatt reckons he got what he wanted from Wanderers against Fleetwood… In the end.

The Bolton boss admits his side were slow starters at the UniBol until the end of the first half when they pulled themselves level through Dion Charles.

Another goal from Charles in between strikes from Declan John and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson gave the Whites a 4-2 win, which was enough to seal ninth place in the final League One table.

Fleetwood were also able to celebrate, as Gillingham’s defeat at Rotherham ensured they would avoid relegation.

“It has been really topical in recent weeks, we have been at it, showed impetus, intensity, desire and I think that was lacking in the first half,” Evatt said.

“From the players’ perspective, it felt like a bit of a party atmosphere today. We knew there was not a lot to play for and there was kind of a celebration and things happening with families and friends that can sometimes take your eye off the ball and I think first half we struggled with that.

“I think their goal probably spurred us and gave us that aggression and intensity and then we scored a very good goal, but second half once I reminded them of their responsibilities and what we were here for, they were outstanding and deserved to win the game.”

Wanderers have finished the season with four straight wins and a run of eight games unbeaten.

Showing automatic promotion form in the second half of the campaign, Evatt is now keen to maintain that momentum through the summer.

“We set the players a points target back in January, 73 points was our target and we’ve managed to get there but it’s still not enough. At the time that felt like a real big ask, but it shows you how well we’ve done since January.

“A sample size of 22 games and only three defeats in more or less half a season is a lot to be proud of really.

“We are obviously disappointed when we see in the offices and the changing rooms the celebrations that are happening at Rotherham and the like because we want that to be us, we want to be involved in that, and we have to use it as motivation.

“We are going to have that huge expectancy and we have to live up to it, simple as that.”

Evatt will meet with each one of his players on Monday to discuss their season and their future at Wanderers.

“That is the nature of football. All I can say about every one of them is that they have been an absolute pleasure to work with, every day they commit to learning and improving,” he said.

“There is a huge mutual respect between myself, the players and the staff. The owner and the directors also have a great relationship with the players too. That culture is something we have been very proud of indeed.

“I might have an hour or two off this summer but otherwise it will be all systems go preparing for next year.

Asked what he might do with his Saturdays for the next six weeks before the start of pre-season, Evatt added: “I’d love a game of cricket but there is so much to do. It’s a huge summer ahead for so many reasons – there is the B Team stuff ahead and then recruitment for the first team as well.

“It is a quick turnaround because the season starts early next year but I love my job, I really love it, and I can’t wait to get going again.”

Source

Last edited by karlypants on Sat Apr 30 2022, 17:43; edited 1 time in total

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum