Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Really good for me' - James Trafford happy to learn from Matt Gilks

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'Really good for me' - James Trafford happy to learn from Matt Gilks 13815968

James Trafford says working with Matt Gilks at Wanderers has already had a big impact on his development.

The England Under-21 international impressed during the second half of last season and is now looking forward to his first full campaign at the UniBol after extending his loan from Manchester City.

“It was a no-brainer to come back to Bolton. I really like the manager and the staff.

“He believes in me and wants me to play on the ball quite high up, which is how I like to play and how I see myself playing. It’s a good fit for all parties,” he told The News and Star.

“We try and play footy, really similar to how the top teams play. It’s how I’ve been brought up.

“Gillo has been really good for me. He’s what I needed – someone who’s just come out of the game, played in the Prem and for his country, and his experience of the game helps me.

“I’m at the other end of the spectrum. I’ve played 33 games and haven’t got the experience he has, but I’ve got the ability.

“But you need more than just ability to get yourself through. His game understanding has helped me a lot. He trains really intensely. That’s the biggest thing I need.”

Trafford made 22 appearances for Wanderers last term as Ian Evatt’s men finished ninth in their first season back in League One.

The young goalkeeper’s consistent performances and big personality quickly made him a popular figure among supporters.

He added: “The stadium and fans are really good. The fans are the best on away grounds - all the die-hards, in a condensed section.

“On the bus the other day we were watching a few of the videos from last season, after we’d scored at Morecambe, Crewe and Donny. It’s brilliant watching them celebrate, running on the pitch.

“It’s something I want to do more, go and celebrate with the lads, but I get fined. I’m going bite the bullet and pay the fines because I enjoy celebrating with them! Like at Crewe, running down and jumping on them, celebrating with random fans.

“I get fined for a few silly things, like wearing different trainers or waving at the fans mid-game. It is a brutal committee in the changing room. I’m chief contributor.”

Trafford is from the Cumbria area and is looking forward to returning to Brunton Park, where he attended matches as a child, when the Whites take on Carlisle United this afternoon.

“It will be good fun,” he said. “As much as you try and say you treat it like a league game, it’s sort of hard to do that because it’s a friendly.

“But we will give it our all and try and work on the things we need to get ready for the new season, and I’m sure Carlisle will be the same.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum