Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

George Thomason out to prove he is regular first team material at Wanderers

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

George Thomason out to prove he is regular first team material at Wanderers 14118729

George Thomason doesn’t want to be known as a young hopeful any longer at Wanderers.

The 21-year-old midfielder hopes to compete for a regular first team spot this season and has impressed since his return in the summer.

Thomason has 46 senior appearances for Bolton and remains the only player on the books signed by the previous manager, Keith Hill.

Although he came through the non-league ranks at Longridge Town, Thomason is now keen to show he is no longer a ‘raw talent’ and can be considered a realistic option in League One.

“I know my journey has been a little bit unique,” he told The Bolton News. “I don’t think it is complete but right now I am focussing on being a Bolton player and playing for the first team regularly.

“Last season brought me a lot of different experiences, like playing in front of fans, playing in League One, and I learned a lot of valuable lessons.

“Now I want to kick on and take everything I have learned into the new season.”

Thomason started just nine league games for Bolton last term, also turning out for the reserves in the Central League. He pushed his way back into the reckoning at the tail end of the season having analysed where he could improve his game.

“When I was in and out of the squad a little bit it gave me the chance to assess myself and look where I can improve,” he said. “Physically, I felt I could definitely up my levels.

“That time gave me an opportunity to improve in the gym, improve my sleep, my diet, and try to give myself every chance to be a better player.

“I try and take every opportunity I am given. I try to implement the things we do during the week, on the ball, off the ball, and try to improve myself as a player which will give me the best possible chance to play games.”

Thomason is not short of competition in the Bolton midfield, with fit-again Josh Sheehan joining a group which also includes MJ Williams, Kyle Dempsey, Aaron Morley and Kieran Lee.

He is confident, however, that with Evatt’s guidance he can challenge some of the more experienced players for a spot in the side this season.

“I think the manager and his team are the perfect fit for me – the style of play they brought to the club and the progression I have made from the beginning when they came in. I have just tried to be a sponge and take in what everyone has been telling me because that has made me the player I am today,” he said.

“I think every one of the midfielders brings something different to the table and it is has been about building the different relationships on the pitch knowing that we have all got a tough job nailing down one of those three spots.

“I think so far we have pushed each other well. The Carlisle game was a blip but we have a chance to move forward now, look at what went wrong and improve in the future.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Amazing! Fringe player wants to be in the first 11. Why isn't this 'breaking news' On Sky Sports?

Please stop.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum