Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Josh Sheehan keen for Wanderers' midfielders to chip in with goals

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Josh Sheehan keen for Wanderers' midfielders to chip in with goals 16113581

Wanderers have struggled in the final third at times this season, but Josh Sheehan insists the blame shouldn’t fall solely on the strikers.

Ian Evatt’s men were among the top-scoring sides in League One last season, but they have found the net 19 times in 16 fixtures so far this term.

Sheehan is confident there are more goals to come from midfield and says the goals need to be shared around across the pitch.

The Welshman also says the forwards do much more than just put the ball in the net in the Whites’ system.

“That always happens in football when a team goes through, not so much a drought but just not scoring as much as they would want,” he told The Bolton News.

“You always look at the strikers because they say that is their job, but throughout the team I feel like our strikers don’t offer us just goals. They link up the play, they press off the ball as well.

“It is down to us midfielders, even the wing-backs as well to get the strikers the goals with assists and to chip in.

“I probably should have scored on Saturday, Kieran Lee hit the post (against Burton). Our midfielders are capable of scoring.

“Hopefully, it will click soon. We are not passing the blame to the strikers, it is a collective. Even the centre-halves from set-pieces, we have all got the chip in.”

Sheehan returned to the side against Oxford last weekend – his first League One start in the best part of a year after a lengthy injury lay-off.

The Welshman had a chance to get Wanderers back on level terms but was denied by Simon Eastwood’s feet.

“I should have scored to be fair,” he admitted. “When I saw the ball coming across, you don’t really look to see where the goal is, you just know it is there.

“I have just wanted to get good contact on it, and probably too good to be honest. I have hit it too nice, straight at I think it was his foot that saved it.”

Sheehan scored four goals for Wanderers last season before his campaign was brought to an abrupt ending due to injury.

The 27-year-old also scored 15 times during his Newport County days and hopes he chip in with goals over the coming season.

He is comfortable playing in both the number eight and 10 roles and believes the versatility of the Whites’ midfield options can serve them well.

“I can probably do it more because I play in a bit more of an advanced position to where I did at my other clubs,” Sheehan explained.

“If we play with the eights and 10, it fits any of our midfielders. That is what our job is, to get on the scoresheet and create goals.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum