Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evatt has faith Wanderers' defensive trio as Derby County visit looms

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evatt has faith Wanderers' defensive trio as Derby County visit looms 16291327

Ian Evatt is backing a new-look back three to handle Derby County when they come to the UniBol after Christmas.

With Ricardo Santos and Gethin Jones still unavailable, it looks likely to fall on Eoin Toal, Will Aimson and George Johnston to continue at the heart of the Bolton defence.

The trio played together for the first time in last weekend’s win against Exeter, preserving a ninth league clean sheet of the season.

Toal and Aimson had featured infrequently but were able to get some valuable game time in the Papa Johns Trophy, which Evatt felt was a vital ingredient in their success on Saturday.

“I was absolutely delighted with the way they played,” said the Bolton boss. “The game against United definitely helped Will and now that Eoin is playing consistently it will really help him as well.

“I know there was some concern before the game – no captain, no vice captain – but there shouldn’t be. They are good players, ones we can trust, and whoever comes into the team from this squad can do the job that is asked of them.

“There were lots of things to like about the way they played and, defensively, what we did in the second half (against Exeter) was excellent.

“So we can all reset now for the Derby game but we’d want more of the game, certainly.”

Part of the remit for Aimson and Co will be to stop David McGoldrick, the experienced former Sheffield United striker who scored a hat-trick in his last outing against Forest Green.

McGoldrick was strongly linked with a move to Bolton in the summer along with midfielder Tom Barkhuizen but opted for Pride Park as one of 16 new additions made by the club in the summer after their relegation from the Championship.

Victory against Exeter was only Evatt’s second in 10 attempts during December since he took charge of Wanderers, and as his side consolidated their place in the play-off positions he hoped the improved form will continue to the end of the year.

“I tend not to enjoy many months because I’m a grump – but that result will certainly put me in a better mood for Christmas, that’s for sure,” he said. “There are some big games coming up and I feel like we are in a pretty good place.

“My Christmas wish is basically for everyone to enjoy themselves now.

“We are in the top five of the division, the quarter-final of the cup.

“We have suffered a lot of pain over the years and this time last year we were having a lot of pain, let’s think about the journey, think about where we are today, think about others.

“Enjoy your Christmas and we’ll see everyone again on December 27.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum