Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'We owe them one!' - Dion confident ahead of Plymouth EFL Trophy date

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'We owe them one!' - Dion confident ahead of Plymouth EFL Trophy date 16616674

Dion Charles reckons Wanderers have some unfinished business with Papa Johns Trophy final opponents Plymouth Argyle.

The in-form Bolton striker has great respect for Steven Schumacher’s side, who continue to lead the League One table after Sheffield Wednesday’s inability to beat Cheltenham in midweek.

Wanderers have taken just one point from two league meetings with the Pilgrims but meet them for a third time at Wembley on Sunday feeling they are due a result.

“It’s going to be a good game because Plymouth are no mugs,” Charles told The Bolton News. “They are a good team having a brilliant season so they will be able to cause us problems. But we can cause them problems too.

“I think we owe them one. When we last played them here at home I felt like they had got away with one, so if we can get our own back at Wembley that would be amazing.”

Around 34,000 Wanderers supporters will be heading to the capital this weekend, with around 75,000 expected overall inside the stadium.

While Charles admits there has been a buzz around the dressing room, he feels that a clearly defined playing style will make it easier for Bolton’s players to stick to their gameplan.

“There are no grey areas,” he said. “We are all given what we need to do, and we all know exactly how we play.

“Of course, there is a feelgood factor around the whole camp. Everyone is excited.

“It isn’t easy treating it like a normal game. But that is where is comes down to professionalism, how we prepare for the game. It will be a massive occasion, massive crowd, and there is a lot riding on it. But we are going down there with a clear plan and a clear way of playing.”

Charles grabbed his first two international goals for Northern Ireland last weekend, and is just a couple away from becoming the first Bolton player in 22 years to top 20 club goals in a single campaign.

The thought of securing that honour at Wembley brings out a big smile on the striker’s face.

“If I could do that it would be brilliant,” he said. “I have 20 for the season, and I said I’d do that from the start, so there’s time to add more now, definitely.

“It has been a brilliant week for me, personally, so to come back and play in a Wembley final, it could be a dream week.

“It is important to keep yourself grounded and hungry for more. I have had a good week away, been with the international team and scored my first goals, but it is back to work here. All my concentration is on the final.

“I think it will be a great footballing game. They are two big clubs, so it is going to be a great advert for League One football.

“We handle the ball well, we make the pitch big, and we have got willing runners in the team. Me, personally, I like to get in behind defenders, so on a bigger pitch it will give me the opportunity to do that.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Player wants to win final.

It just hadn't crossed my mind this is how a player would feel.

Outstanding journalism again.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum