Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

George Thomason targeting strong finish ahead of Oxford trip

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

George Thomason targeting strong finish ahead of Oxford trip 16299063

George Thomason is eager to make up for lost time heading into the business end of the campaign.

Thomason made his first start since early December in the 1-1 draw against Cambridge on Monday afternoon following a spell out with a knee issue.

During the first half of the campaign, the 22-year-old midfielder had become an important member of Ian Evatt’s side.

The Whites head to Oxford this weekend and Thomason knows it will not be easy, but he is hopeful they can return to winning ways.

“I was really pleased to get my first competitive start after a long time out injured. It has been tough at times, but I am just really happy to be back fully into the group now,” he said.

“(Saturday) will be a challenging game. Every time we have faced Oxford they have been a really tough opponent.

“Obviously, they are fighting for their lives so we can’t go there and take anything for granted. Both teams desperately need the three points for different reasons so we are anticipating a tough game.”

Thomason’s first appearance since the injury came against Plymouth in the Papa Johns Trophy final at Wembley, coming off the bench for the final eight minutes.

It was an occasion to remember for the youngster, who got the chance to play in front of nearly 80,000 fans at the famous venue.

“I am pretty sure if you ask any player - especially at our level - growing up as a kid, you want to play at Wembley and on the biggest stages,” he added.

“To have such a big turnout for an EFL Trophy final, it was amazing to get on the pitch and play my part.

“I was happy not only to be there, but you want to go and win, and we did that. It was very pleasing.”

But Thomason insists pushing for promotion is still Wanderers’ main focus and hopes they can finish the season strongly.

“Usually when you play at Wembley it is at the end of the season, whereas we are in the thick of a promotion push,” the midfielder explained. “We have to push it to the side – we have done it and we give ourselves a pat on the back.

“But we have got six really important games to shape our season finale and get ourselves right among the play-offs.

“I am really confident within myself and the group. We have been in the play-offs since September, we have been right in the thick of it all the way through this season.

“We all know we have got so much to play for and we are not going to let it go easily because it is a really big incentive to get to the Championship. It is a huge step in the English pyramid.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum