Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton have the bottle for the play-offs, insists Kachunga

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton have the bottle for the play-offs, insists Kachunga 16762244

Elias Kachunga knows what it takes to win in the play-offs – and he sees promising signs around him in the Wanderers dressing room.

Promoted to the Premier League with Huddersfield Town five years ago, the experienced forward hopes to continue his good fortune with Bolton in their two-legged semi-final with Barnsley.

Kachunga has already had one positive experience at Wembley, scoring in the 4-0 win against Plymouth Argyle in the Papa Johns Trophy final in April.

And he believes the Whites need to adopt a similar approach to the business end of this season, with the emphasis placed on enjoying their work.

“We showed what we can do at Wembley last time and everyone wants to get back there,” he told The Bolton News. “Our target is to write more history for the club.

“I have won in the play-offs before, I have experience and I want to help this club get that feeling again.

“I think it is a really strong group together and this season I think we have shown a lot of character.

“When there have been hard times we have been strong. If you see us from last season to this one, there are big improvements all over the pitch.

“Now, because there are big games, there is pressure, we need to be strong as well.”

Huddersfield beat Sheffield Wednesday over two legs in 2017, holding their nerve in a penalty shootout at Hillsborough to clinch an appearance against Reading in the final, a game also decided on spot kicks after a goalless draw.

Wanderers have twice played Barnsley at home this season, drawing 0-0 in the league and beaten 1-0 in the FA Cup. Both games have been tight affairs – and though Evatt’s men coasted to a 3-0 win at Oakwell in early January, the importance of Saturday’s first leg is likely to make it a nervous afternoon.

Kachunga feels the key to success is for Bolton – and their supporters - to enjoy themselves.

“I think now it is just about not putting too much pressure on the players,” he said. “We need to enjoy the games because if we do, we can show good performances.

“We need to take it as good pressure to show what we can do on the pitch.

“Everyone else in the league wished to be in the position we are now so we must grab it with both hands.”

Defender George Johnston reckons the return of Ricardo Santos could be a big factor in Wanderers’ chances in the play-offs.

Speaking after Sunday’s game in Bristol, he said: “I was thinking before the game I hadn’t played with him since I got injured at Charlton, so it had been a few months.

“He is great to have behind me - he gives me the confidence to go forward and helps us be secure at the back. He is massive for us.”

Like Kachunga, Johnston is confident going into the semi-finals.

“Definitely, I think we fancy our chances,” he added. “I don’t think anyone will want to play us, especially when we are at the top of our game. We are more than a match for anyone.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum